a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Help with Cleaning under the Rub rail.

Started by Mattlikesbikes, May 15, 2013, 10:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattlikesbikes

There seems to be a buildup of black nastiness under the rub rails on my cp19.   And from searching the forum it seems as though they are a bear to put back on.  If I do pull them off what do you think the best way to clean the gunk out from the deck/hull joint?  I have an electric power washer that is adjustable or is that going to be too much pressure for the joint.  My guess is it is a combination of the duct tape they used that has broken down over the last 30 years and a buildup of who knows what.   Any other suggestions to try to clean under them without pulling it off. Overall the rub rail seems in good shape

The previous owner had a tarp over it last winter and it was a nasty job getting it off while the cockpit was filled with water.  We also discovered a squirrel nest between the engine mount and the stern.   The squirrel did not get in the boat but had a nice covered home under the tarp for the winter

Also do you guys have any recommendations of a good product to clean up some mold in the cabin.  I assume because the boat was tarpped It trapped the moisture in over the winter.

Billy

I say, leave it and go sailing!  8)

I have had my 83' 19 for about 5 years now and my rubrail is dry rotting. I pressure wash it and no matter how much, black gunk keeps coming out. But that is purely an aesthetic issue. I have not attempted to take it off. and if I did, I would probably just replace it with a new one. My guess is that once you take it off you may create even more work to do and never get out on the water.

Get the boat sea worthy, clean up the inside, sail it, and then start to focus on how it looks on the outside.

As for mold in the cabin, you could pressure wash it and then let it dry out. park her in the Sun and open up all the hatched & lazerettes and then get some damp rid. Or you could paint it with some Killz from the hardware store. That should brighten up the inside too. But don't forget to take the cushions out 1st!

Just my two cents.

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

Welcome to the forum Matt.

I agree with Billy.

May 15 is not the time to start refurbing a boat in Pennsylvania..it will take you twice as long as you think and cost twice as much as expected.  You'll keep finding things to fix, and it will be August before you know it.
Just powerwash the rail, it's not going to come off. Black nastines is normal--next time you clean it it won't be as bad. I've powerwashed mine with a 3100psi commercial grade pressure washer...no issues. Your electric is probably half that pressure, at best.

Focus on the essentials...rigging in good shape, lines, sails, mast/boom, hardware, safety gear, hull sound, blocks OK, etc.   Otherwise you'll be knee deep in projects that don't really matter to actually getting the boat into your slip and enjoying it.

The mold issue however, needs to corrected as soon as possible.  You won't want to spend any time in the cabin--very unhealthy to breath mold spores indeed, and it sounds like you have a big problem with it.

There is a really good post about remediating mold here:     http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5887.0

Heed the precautions carefully!!!  Especially the protective gear you NEED to use to be safe. Removing mold is not easy, but agree that should be attended to ASAP.

Worry about the aesthetics in November when sailing season is over. At that time, wetsand and polish the hull, replace the rubrail, rebed hardware, sand/varnish teak, and anything else you see fit.

there are several CP19 at Nox that can probably help you inspect your boat and advise of immediate needs vs. ait until the en dof the season. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Mattlikesbikes

Billy and Salty thanks for the tips.  And you guys are both right it would take me half the summer to get everything in good order.  Sometimes I think I have a touch of OCD and feel the need to get everything perfect. The slip is paid for might as well get it in the water

As for the mold thanks for the link to that thread. I do not think mine is as bad as that picture but there is definitely mold growing. I hate working with nasty chemicals but it looks like I am going to have to do something.  I might just pick some mold killer at Lowes or Home Depot. I am not sure how comfortable I am with Mixing and diluting chemicals etc.,....  I will try to get some pictures of the cabins current condition.
I did notice yesterday a dent in the mast on the side above the spreaders. No creases in the dent.  Do you guys think this is going to be an issue?

NateD

Quote from: Mattlikesbikes on May 15, 2013, 03:53:56 PM
I did notice yesterday a dent in the mast on the side above the spreaders. No creases in the dent.  Do you guys think this is going to be an issue?

I have 2 dents in my CP23 mast, I started a thread about it here: http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=4212.0

I asked the marina owner about the dents, and he said to hold a straight edge across it and measure the depth. If it was more than 1/4" it should be fixed/replaced, if it is less than 1/4", then it is probably fine. I never did measure, but I'm pretty sure the dent is not more than 1/4". So far the mast has survived some pretty wild conditions the last 2 years, and I'm confident it will be fine (or at least if it fails, it's not going to fail due to the dents). But I could be proven wrong yet.

If yours is dented very close to the spreaders I would be more worried. Do you have a picture?

MacGyver

Matt, After you get the inside cleaned out, goto Walmart, RV section, get yourself a gallon pail of DAMPRID.
It looks like a ice cream pail, you pull the lid off keeping the seal on it in place (read the tub, itll tell ya)

Keep one in the boat at all times. Change as needed. GOODBYE DAMPNESS/MOLD possibilities!
You can thank me later after you see it work ;)

I can tell you from experience, if a boat is tighter than it needs, and you get mold inside, you wont be staying in it.....

I agree with the guys, and tell you (we have that OCD too...... when we bought ours... it was hard to get us to say enough is enough, lets sail!) get that sucker sprayed off, fix interior issue, running rig her and make sure stuff works as it should, then go get her in that slip! better to use the free slip time now to learn as time permits than to waste it on projects that can be done when sailing is a not a ability..... especially since you have a free slip!

Welcome by the way!
Mac   :D :D :D :D :D
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

philb Junkie19

Matt, a person who does mold abatement told me that bleach does not kill mold and that vinegar will.  I'm guessing that it's not as effective as Tim's solution but it's safe and even can be used on salads.

Mattlikesbikes

Here is what I am dealing with.  It is mainly on the top of the cabin above the V birth and in the cockpit lockers on opposite the benches  The rest of the cabin looks ok.
I hate mold :( and I am not looking forward to cleaning it up.  

That Damprid sounds like it will do the trick when I get everything cleaned up

MacGyver

Just my opinion, ShopVac,
Hose,
fresh water,
scrub brush,
remove all easily removable wood
scrub and hose and suck and get er clean! hard work for sure (correct me if I am wrong guys)

Then after that leave her open for a few days to finish drying out. Some of it can be washed into the bilge and pumped out or vac-ed out

Also, more pictures of whatever that stereo setup is! MUST SEE FOR IDEAS MATT! RESEARCH! (and Idea theft possibilities if not just sheer nosey-ness)

We had a J29 Racer that was this messy inside. A bad set of clothes on one of our workers (luckily I am high enough on the totem pole) and that above list and he was down there for a day and a half cleaning it all out, ceiling, etc. looked like a brand new boat when he was done.
Made it easier for me to work in too ;)

If you can employ someone to shop vac for ya while you work, you might get it done easier, as you wont have to keep switching off.
and if you just use water, no one gets death by fumes......

Again, I could be wrong here on the approach, but in comparison to the J29, these pics of yours pale in comparison.......
guy did wear a dust mask though...........might not be a bad Idea.....

(lets see who agrees or disagrees....... our approach may have been a bad one....)

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Billy

Whoaaaa Matt. You got the galley option???

Jealous!

Please post some pics.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

MacGyver

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
GALLEY OPTION!?!?!?!

PICS PLEASE!

Mac  ;D
-Alaine Gerbault.

Mattlikesbikes

I will get some pictures of the galley tonight or tomorrow.

I emailed a few people off of CraigsList that where advertising boat detailing/cleaning If I can find somebody to clean that mold and the rest of the boat for under $150 I might go for it.  I was just pricing out a 3m 6800 full face respirator with the correct filter for mold and bleach which would run me about $150.

wes

Matt - the 3M 6211 respirator available at Lowes or or Home Depot for $30 is no-frills, but has excellent organic filters and is very adequate for this job. Believe me, it protects very well against xylene and toluene solvents, and mold spores are easy compared to that. If you can smell any chemical odor inside the mask, it's time to replace the filters.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Tim Gardner

I agree absolutely.  One can get the same performance from a respirator purchased at Harbor freight as well
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Salty19

That doesn't look horrible.

I would start with 60/40 vinegar/water mix, scrub with a magic eraser soaked in the solution and clean/reclean with vinegar and water and the shop-type paper towels. Increase strength to 80/20 if results are not seen quickly. No mask needed, just open the vents and use a fan to give you fresh air. 

Maybe finish off with some Formular 409 or Fantastic (without bleach), wipe down everything once the vinegar/water mix has evaporated. 
Put some vinegar in a cup and let it sit in the cabin for a few days.  It will help remove the smell, and create acidic air, which mold will perish from.

Vinegar will kill the mold, the cleaner will take away their food source (dirt/organic matter).

Bleach is not as effective as vinegar, which is not as effective as the shock treatment.

See how that does before resorting to stronger measures.

To keep mold at bay, keep the boat clean, dry and ventilated.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603