a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail and forestay questions

Started by GretchenG, May 01, 2013, 07:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GretchenG

Hi, folks--  Now that the mud is finally dried up in Vermont, I am working on the new-to-me 1981 CP-16 I parked in the back yard last fall.  The sails are pretty tired, so I'm casting about for an economical way to refit.  Too bad I didn't get started over the winter, oh well, too much knitting to do.

I've built a 78sf balanced lug with 2 reef points, and feel reasonably confident I could make other simple sails.  I guess I could copy from my existing sails and make patterns, but I'm not fond of battens--breaking, jamming, getting lost...  Has anyone used a main with a hollow roach not requiring the battens?

I understand it's possible to cut down larger used sails--has anyone tried that for their CP? 

Also, I've heard of putting up a double forestay to make it easier and quicker to change headsails.  Would that be crazy on a tiny boat like the 16?  Or maybe not worth the expense, since I'm pretty much a conservative fair-weather sailor.  I expect to be solo much of the time, or with guest non-sailors, so I'm my own 100-lb deck ape.

I'm so glad this forum is here!  I haven't had a sailboat in years, and need to get up to speed.  Also, "Thankful" needs some work and I've found so much great information here.  Thanks a lot--  GretchenG

skip1930

Personally, just my opinion, the headsail on a CP-16 is the only sail needed and so no need for a second forestay especially as a fair weather sailor.
Keep her stock and enjoy the boat. I like batons but have no reason to not like them.
I just go with the traditional boat built the way the designer intended.
It is possible to send the sails out for a 'crisping-up'. But not now, at the beginning of the season. 

skip.

nies

I had the same thought about a double forestay, worked out the math and design, called Gerry at Hutchins and was told not a good idea as there would not be any support on the mast  at the point of attachment and under extreme conditions the mast might fail ............always dreaming..........nies

Pacman

You might consider using a jib downhaul so you can douse your jib from the cockpit.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

mandolinut

I really like my adjustable jib sail thanks to a home made roller furling setup. Allows you to have as little or as much  head  sail as the wind conditions dictate without leaving the cockpit.  You can also douse the sail from the cockpit, not by lowering it but by rolling it up. Check it out under the forum section called "how to DIY"  under "home made roller furling, one year later".  Near the bottom of the first page of posts, there is a video I added later.  You might have a fraction less control of sail shape, but the jib still performs great.
I also have an older tired mainsail and find  the boom is a bit low on a close reach since the sail is stretched out. Other than that, works fine. Probably loosing 10% performance with the older mainsail and roller furling, so will be content doing 5.4 knots instead of 6 .   If you are not racing, you will probably not be aware of the difference   :0)
Wishing you happy and safe times on the water.

philb Junkie19

I'm wondering if a roachless main would help with the weather helm on the CP I.  On the other hand the roach is not great at least on a CP II main . When I got the 16 one batten had been broken and was patched with a couple of popsicle sticks. It's held up for three summers.  When making a pattern from a stretched sail would you be building some of that shape into the new one? There is a great book, The Sailmaker's Apprentice by Emilio _______ ?  He does a lot with traditional as well as more modern sails.  Vermont is an incredibly beautiful state. My wife and I are in VT this week watching our grandchildren and enjoying the trees becoming more green almost by the hour on these beautiful sunny days.   

GretchenG

Thanks for the response, all.  Nies, I appreciate that I'm not the only dreamer in the group, but I guess I'd better take Skip's advice and leave the rig as-is.  The tired sails will have to stay for now, as I've discovered the quarter berths are pretty well rotten!  I've got one of them mostly removed and one to go.  This is a rebuild job I hadn't expected.  Sigh.  Every used boat is a project boat.

dbinvermont

Another Vermonter!! 

I have a 19, and I am nearly done adding a bowsprit and second fore stay. I bought a small poly sail that I will hank on occasionally, and the original fore stay will carry the homemade roller furler for the jib.
I am looking forward to experimenting with the various combinations that this will allow.
The poly sail when it arrived, turned out to be higher quality than I was expecting. I don't know how it's performance will be, but it looks surprisingly good!
Dave
dbinvermont
1983 Compact 19

GretchenG

Hey, Dave!  Interesting--you'll have to let the forum know how the double forestay works out for you.  Good to hear about the polysail quality, too.  Not sure what I'll do about sails, but it will be next year for sure, when my husband has lost track of how many UPS boxes showed up containing boat stuff...

dbinvermont

Oh no! You won't be on the lake this summer? We need more Compacs out there! Maybe we need a Lake Champlain Compac gathering!
My bowsprit and forestay are done, and it came out great. Should be real interesting. Your 16 doesn't have a backstay, so if you added a forestay, you would need one.
I will definitely post results, once I have them. I might be going out this weekend, or next for sure.

It's time!
Dave
dbinvermont
1983 Compact 19

Craig

Definitely add a jib downhaul! Cheap, easy and lets you douse jib from cockpit. Also pretty much keeps jib under control when lying on deck ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Eagleye

Quote from: dbinvermont on May 29, 2013, 09:02:09 PM
We need more Compacs out there! Maybe we need a Lake Champlain Compac gathering!

Hey db,
Suzie and I might be interested in a Lake Champlain gathering.   We live just south of Albany, NY and it has been on our list of places to sail.....
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Citroen/Dave

Check out the discussion in CP16 on the David Gerr Jib Down Haul.

Citroen/Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"