a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

First Sail

Started by tmorgan, April 14, 2013, 07:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmorgan

First sail of the season yesterday.  Seventy degrees, sunny, fifteen mph winds, beautiful first mate.  Just love Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia!  :D

Glenn Basore

Tmorgan,

It's always nice to get back on the water, especially if you had to wait on the weather.

Although here in sunny Southern Calif. I too will wait for warmer weather. I did get out Febuary of this year for the Lake Havasu event which is the earliest I've been out.

Nothing like having the warmth of the sunshine on your shoulders as you make that first sail of the year.

Glenn

Citroen/Dave

Tmorgan,

Tim Gardner, who sails a '85 CP19/II, is also on Smith Mountain Lake. There is a CP 16 near Moneta.  I just had my first splash with a '85 CP16/II from the old Mitchell's Marina.  (See "First Splash" under the CP16 page.) I think we share your enthusiasm for the beautiful mountain water. 

I have heard it said that if you can sail in mountain water, you can sail anywhere.  I once sailed a Thistle 360 degrees around in a mountain induced air eddy on Lake George in New York before turning over.  The sails where released and the tiller was hard over but the eddy kept the wind in the sails and over we went. Mountain sailing keeps you on your toes!

I think Tim is trying to organize a ComPac event in the "Pirate Days" gathering on the Lake, July 19-22.  Maybe we can participate and make a showing for ComPac.

Where do you launch??

Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

tmorgan

I keep my boat at the Virginia Inland Sailing Association by Bernard's Landing.  Can't do a July event.  We trail the boat to Maine in the summer.  Good to know we have a few more Compacs on the Lake.  A new member of our club has a Compac 16.  Have not met them yet.

Bob23

Pirate Days event on Tim's lake? I gotta keep an eye on this one. Tim...is this true?
Bob23