a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Removing Teak

Started by Glenn Basore, March 24, 2013, 04:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

I just did the work on the bow pulpit as this was the only piece I've been able to remove easily.

Since I have it on my work bench,I can easily sand it or wipe it down with a chemical ( acetone) to get the Finnish off and try something else.

The idea of going over the Cetol with varnish is tempting.   What about Shelac?

Glenn

Craig

Forget shellac! Not durable in marine environment. Whatever varnish you use, maintaining it is along term commitment. Depending on your environment  you may need to sand/recoat every 3 months or so. A lot less if your boat is covered/garaged between uses like Capt Nemo. The biggest problem is that once the varnish starts to fail stripping becomes necessary to bring it back to"Bristol Condition".  That is what drives each of our finish choices: ultimate beauty vs  maintainance.  At one end is simple scrubbing and the grey/white natural look vs the sparkling furniture look of  5-8 coats of varnish. Ya pays yer money ya takes yer choice!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Glenn Basore

Craig
I think the easiest and simplist thing I can hope for is staying with the Cetol hgh gloss .

So far it's held up the best with the least amount of work in my Southern Calif. environment . I do kept her cover while she waits for me to take her out again.

I just had my jib repaired and will reattach it to this week,weather permitting.

Thanks all for the good advice .

Glenn

Craig

Glenn,
I think that is a good decision(Remembering that my advice is worth what you paid for it!). Cetol is a great compromise which can give you the high gloss look while at the same time extending your maintenance intervals and allowing easy touch-ups if needed. Fair winds! :)
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL