a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer oddness

Started by MacGyver, March 10, 2013, 03:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Didnt know what else to put in the description....
Something that has always bothered me on my trailer is how the tongue makes a upward projection that seems quite steep.... so I looked at it today when I jockeyed the boat around in the shop.

I leveled the trailer, then saw that there is a extreme angle for the tongue..... turns out that at the Y branch they welded the bottom flat on a table, so the top projects up higher than the side supports. This causes a upward run of the tongue.

After figuring this out, it settled my mind knowing that it isnt a issue with the trailer, just a figuring error on part of the trailer manufacturer.

I have seen pictures of others boats on here and knew it wasnt just mine. So I figured I would pass along the info.
Also, this trailer of mine is not a PERFORMANCE trailer, and in pictures I have never seen them do this.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Lafayette Bruce

Mac
Keep in mind if the bed of the trailer is pointing slightly downward toward the front this would make the boat set closer to level when on a ramp going in or coming out.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

tugboat

Mac,
I noticed the same thing when I brought my 19 home last month and put the trailer on jackstands to replace the axle.  The tongue had a definite upward angle to it.  Wouldn't call it a severe angle, but noticeable.  I figured it was just due to the age of the trailer but maybe they are manufactured that way.  My trailer is a MagicTilt by "Hutch".  VIN was unreadable but the boat is an '84 so I figure the trailer is too.  Haven't noticed this in other trailers though.  Probably due to the MagicTilt feature of the trailer (though I will never try out the tilt feature).  I did get the new axle, hubs, springs, wheels and wiring harness project done though and towed her around town just for the hell of it.  On to minor boat projects till spring.
Mike

P.S. you can kinda see the angle in this pic that I posted before

MacGyver

LafayetteBruce,
You are right, actually I re leveled the boat by eye in the shop and it looked to help this possibly..... the main base of the trailer is not level but the boat looks right.

TugMike,
Your trailer looks just like mine, but mine was made by another company. At CLR in Carlyle last year I compared my trailer to CrazyCarl's and LafayetteBruce's and they all (If I remember right) were the same but built by "different companies"
Lead me to believe that the trailer is indeed a kit, and companies buy it then sell under their own names.......

My trailer also looks to have a possible tilt option..... but I know I would never use it as well....... kinda scary.....

TugMike, was your boat saltwater? Just wondering as I was contemplating replacing my axle,  but it wasnt used for 10 years and was freshwater......also mainly dock sailed when it was used......

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

tugboat

Mac,
The last owner of the boat had her in saltwater and not sure about before that.  I assume so based on the condition of the old axle.  It was my fault for not inspecting the trailer better before I bought her.  Old axle was round bar in a U-channel and I discovered a crack in the channel on the left side about 6" from the hub on my way home with her.  It was mostly hidden by rust but there was a slight bend in it too due to fatigue. Heavy corrosion on round bar too so had to be replaced.  I got a new 2" square 3500lb axle, new hubs, and springs.  Fenders were rusted out too so I got new ones from Tractor Supply and cut them to fit the old fender mounts.  Well worth the peace of mind...
Mike

skip1930

I'm thinking I'll just go buy another Fleet-Farm Axle and U-bolt that second axle under the trailer and move the existing axle around a bit.
They all unbolt and slide in the C-channel-on-end frame. Piece of cake. It's all about distributing the weight.

skip.

MacGyver

And make it a dual axle Skip?

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Smier

Quote from: MacGyver on March 11, 2013, 10:22:11 AM
My trailer also looks to have a possible tilt option..... but I know I would never use it as well....... kinda scary.....

I said the same thing about my tilt trailer for my CP16 and I was actually considering making it a non-tilting trailer because it rattles a little while trailering.  Until last August, when we were getting ready to come home from vacation and I couldn't get the trailer in deep enough to retrieve my CP16.  The lake level had dropped significantly since we had launched, and we were basically beach launching.  I had my Dodge Durango backed completely into the lake, exhaust under water, and the water was up onto the fiberglass running boards...  Couldn't get it back onto the trailer.  I unbolted the safety bolt, tilted the trailer, and winched her on in desperation!  Once unlocked, the tilting portion of the trailer adjusted itself perfectly to the boat as it came up onto the keel rollers, and eased itself back down onto the trailer tongue.  It didn't even slam down as the weight came forward!  Threw the safety bolt back thru the latch and pulled her out of the lake.  I swore I'd never use it, but it worked great and saved me.  There was no way I was getting the boat up onto the trailer without it!  After that experience, I'm keeping it.

nies

Over the years I have used my tilting trailer on very few occasions, but when needed it is a God send and was the only way to get the boat back on the trailer and at one launching site the only way to get it off and into the water...............................I would not remove the ability to use it if ever needed.......nies