a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail numbers?

Started by Glenn Basore, February 26, 2013, 07:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

I notice most boats have a sail number of some type, how do they determine the number for the sail?

I don't have a number on my Eclipse sail and was thinking of adding one.

I was thinking of using the year it was made ( 06). And the boat number (42) which indicates the forty second boat made that year of that model .

So, the number would be 0642

Can I do this or is it tabu?

Glenna

Tim Gardner

Glenn,

The sail number is in your hull number, and is the sequential number of you vessel.  My 19 is ABV...323...  The three hundred and thirty third 19 made.  Thus the 323 sail number.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Glenn Basore

That makes sense,

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn Basore

Ok,

Here is my hull number ( ABV18036F506) can some one explain what they mean and what should my sail number be?

Glenn

carry-on

Glenn,
If you search the word "interpulate" you will arrive at the explanation of the HIN. I know the word is " interpolate" but the search engine does not. I think your hull is a CP-16. The 1803rd hull built. You may want to check on the transom the last zero may be an eight which would mean the hull was formed in 1986. 
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Glenn Basore

Carryon,

The numbers I provided are the correct numbers. I have a 2006 Com Pac Eclipse.

Glenn

carry-on

Sorry to muddy the water...I don't know if your hull is 18 or 36. Maybe a call to Hutchins is in order. the number on the sail is usually the sequential # of the hull.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

carry-on

Glenn,
More thoughts about your HIN.
After looking at some pix of the Eclipse, seems to me the original main sails were not numbered. Many CP-16s and 19s, maybe others were delivered with the hull number on the original main.

AVB18036F506.
The format of the your HIN is different from older model, particularly the "18036".
Perhaps the 18 relates to the LWL to the closest foot. I think your waterline length is just over 18 feet. 

I think your hull number is 36. The 36th Eclipse hull formed. If confirmed by Hutchins,36 would be the number to place on your main.
The hull was formed on January 5,2006 if "F" still represents January.
A call to Jerry Hutchins will ensure straight scoop.

$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Glenn Basore

Thanks,

At least I have some ideas now. I will send an email to Gerry Monday .

Glenn

skip1930

I would have a 'sail number' of 588. Same as the hull number. IF I WAS CLUB RACING.

From the 'Home' page listing of topics;
Com-pac Registry Info
Correspondence regarding our registry

-->05-September-2009 "Welcome to the Com-Pac Yacht Owners Association Group.
Those who sail Com-Pac Yachts, world wide: Ever wounder about the Com-Pac hull numbers??
Lets start here.
Hutchins Boat Company builds the Com-Pac Yacht Boats.

Say the Boat Registration reads--> HUTC [make].
This particular boat has it's number molded in the upper starboard area of the transom and is...ABV00588B696.
ABV=Hutchins [Boat Manufacture code]
00588=the 588th hull built.
B=*September. The month boat was built.
6=Day in the month this boat hull was molded.
96=The year the hull was molded.

*A=Aug, B=Sept, C=Oct, D=Nov, E=Dec, F=Jan, G=Feb, H=March, I=April, J=May, k=June, L=July.

[Be mindful that variations of these numbers and letters change with different Com Pac boats]

So HutchThe Com Pac 19 XL is 20'-1" long with bow sprit included.

The XL means that a white fiberglass surround insert is fitted into the cabin and replaces the dark teak wood of the earlier hulls. No big deal. It does however make the cabin lighter and brighter inside. I like that.<--

skip.

kickingbug1

last four hull numbers is on mine
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Craig

Hull #36 would be correct. My Horizon Cat # is ABV(Hutchins code)20091(20ft, Hull # 91)F2(June build)13(model year 13).
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Glenn Basore

Craig,

Interesting,

Your description makes sence but that leaves me with questions about my numbers?

The 18036 would indicate an 18 foot boat and number 36 made.

Does that mean F5 is for February 5 th?

The 06 would be the correct year of 2006

Glenn

Craig

Glenn, I believe Hutchins uses A for January and goes forward alphabetically from there. I know for sure when my boat was built since we bought it new and followed its construction. Unless there has been a change in the numbering system your boat would have been built in June of '06.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Glenn Basore

Craig,

I will send Gerry an email with a few questions about my hull number .

Thanks

Glenn