a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Kentucky Lake

Started by Vipersdad, February 23, 2013, 02:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vipersdad

Does anyone on this board sail out of Lighthouse Landing on Kentucky Lake?

Thanks,

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

brackish

I have never sailed from there, but I have been there and really like the area.  They used to have bareboat charters available, and I considered doing one, but the last time I checked they they had stopped that and only have some day sailors available for rent.  Fairly long tow from my house, but may do that in the future.  They also have some nice cabins available for rent.

Lafayette Bruce

They used to have 3 CP19s for bareboat charter.  As I was looking to buy a 19 I took advantage of this opportunity and rented one for a weekend to see what I though of it.  The rest is history.
I heard that one of their 19s was hit by a barge just outside their marina.  No one hurt but boat was trashed.
Kentucky Lake and Lighthouse landing is a great place to sail but since it is at the North end of the lake there is only one way to go from the marina... South.  Plenty of depth on the lake.  Watch out for barge traffic but they move slowly and it is not that hard to stay out of their way.  (I really don't know what the guy was thinking who got hit by one).
Are you thinking about sailing Kentucky Lake?
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

Vipersdad

Lafayette Bruce--I am thinking about trailering my 19 from southwestern Wisconsin.  No exact dates at this time.  So far I have looked over Lighthouse's website.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

skip1930

The first time I saw Kentucky lake I was struck on how beautiful the shoeline was. That's a lot of water!
It's a perfect lake for houseboating. Or sailing if the wind would drop down from the cliffs and forests.
I'm not sure if sailing close the the lee side would be a good idea. Might put yourself into irons.
I'd give it a shot though.

skip.

Lafayette Bruce

Quote from: Vipersdad on February 24, 2013, 09:55:54 AM
Lafayette Bruce--I am thinking about trailering my 19 from southwestern Wisconsin.  No exact dates at this time.  So far I have looked over Lighthouse's website.

V.

I think Lighthouse is THE sailing marina on the lake so that has to tell you something about where the wind is and the quantity of it.  Go for it!
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

gcerrito

Very familiar with the marina;  took my ASA sailing class there 3 years ago, and have been back a couple of times.   Beautiful lake, and the marina is very nice.  You can rent COLGATE 26s there, but kind of pricey.

Good consistent wind in the area and wide open.    Not alot of traffic in area.   Georgeous lake.  I've been told one of the largest lakes in Eastern US.    My favorite sailing lake.

brackish

Quote from: gcerrito on February 25, 2013, 11:15:51 PM
Very familiar with the marina;  took my ASA sailing class there 3 years ago, and have been back a couple of times.   Beautiful lake, and the marina is very nice.  You can rent COLGATE 26s there, but kind of pricey.

Good consistent wind in the area and wide open.    Not alot of traffic in area.   Georgeous lake.  I've been told one of the largest lakes in Eastern US.    My favorite sailing lake.

Have you been there in early October?  Been several years since I've been and that was in the summer.  Wonder if the wind is decent in the Fall.  Just revisited the web site and considering getting a cabin for a few days, and renting one of the Colgates for a half day. 

Kind of want to eat at Patti's again. ;D

MacGyver

I mentioned this thread at work today and also how my friend Brad wants to go there to camp with his wife.

Boy, they got me thinking, I am literally about 3 hours away from there, and they say it is great sailing, but that Lighthouse Landing is a Hunter dealer and it was hard to get a slip there.

Ric, my boss told me to get a look at Green Turtle Bay Marina, and go there, then use the channel to go to the Lighthouse Landing part.

I couldnt write the details fast enough.........
Then some place was so tastee to eat at, you cannot go there and not eat at this place called Patties Settlement. It is in Grand Tower?

He also said there was commercial traffic, but not obtrusive. And if you stay on the boat, anchor in a cove with no boat ramp, as you dont want to deal with the commotion from ramp traffic.......

I think I might go down sometime (IF I EVER GET SOME TIME! LOL)   and check that area out. Be neat to know what it is all about before trailering down there.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

crazycarl

if i remember correctly, the rockford yacht club of illinois had a kentucky lake sail every fall.
if your interested, you could contact them about where to launch, sail, and drop the hook on kentucky lake.

http://www.rockfordyachtclub.com/default.php

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

viper man, if you go to kentucky lake this summer stop by at carlyle lake (on your way) for the clr in july.  i have sailed kentucky lake. big bugger very pretty and not all of the big cruiser traffic like lake of the ozarks. like mac i will sometime sail it for a week or so single handed on my 16
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

sailen69

I sail KY lake from time to time.  Day sailing so far, no night at marina or on the hook.  I may do some weekend trips this fall.

Banana Cakes

Quote from: sailen69 on July 15, 2013, 12:15:51 AM
I sail KY lake from time to time.  Day sailing so far, no night at marina or on the hook.  I may do some weekend trips this fall.

Do you live near KY lake? I live in Louisville and plan on doing some usual sails there...

blighhigh

I have a vacation house about five miles from the dam.  Sailing is great in the Fall.  The lake is almost a straight line from South to North and the winds can really build up. I have noticed that the wind forecasts by NOAA rarely reflect actual conditions on the lake.  There is about a one knot current if you are in the channel heading North.  Down side of Fall sailing is that the water level in the lake is lowered starting after Labor Day. This only is a worry if you are out of the main channel and not paying attention to the depths. Even out of the channel there is plenty of deep water to sail in.

Banana Cakes

Great! It would be great to sail with some other CP's at KY lake!