a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

foam inside of combing

Started by kickingbug1, January 07, 2013, 08:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

a couple of years ago i installed two short genoa tracks on the top of the combing of my 16. early last year i noticed that one of the screws would not tighten down. these were just countersunk stainless woodscrews. strangely only one side had loose screws( go figure). anyway i want to use through bolts and nuts. i removed one of the screws and ran a piece of heavy wire down the hole. i could feel the foam give and was able to push it through several inches until it struck what felt like wood.  my question is how do i remove the foam to install the screws and nuts?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

skip1930

Buy yourself a one inch or so round/ball cutter from ACE Hardware that can be chucked into a 1/4 drill motor.
An extension for the cutter may be desirable as that puts the cutter up into the coaming while the drill motor stays lower where there is more room for hands to hold the drill motor. Less then 20 minutes of grinding per side and she will be done. It does not have to be perfect and don't gouge the fiberglass.

For through bolting I'd cut some 1/4 inch UHMW plastic discs with a hole saw and that would make nice washers for the underside, or, plastic/nylon washers can be bought from ACE Hardware in less than 1/4 inch stock.

Grind away, down to the fiberglass. vaccum up the mess.

skip. I ground this foam away to make room for these. This lighter colored area at top-o-pic was where the foam was. Just ground it away with a 5 inch disc grinder.

Coaming is correct. No biggy. Spell check did not pick it up either.

skip.

kickingbug1

thanks a lot skip-----sorry for the spelling---its "coaming" right?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"