a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cetol Gloss

Started by carry-on, November 22, 2012, 11:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carry-on

After reading some posts about Cetol Gloss, thought I would try it as a top coat for my cockpit grate which is finished with Cetol Light.
Looked on line for a vendor and found a note "not for use on decks".
Is the Gloss surface too slick for safety? Would appreciate comments from folks who have used the product.
Thanks.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Bob23

I have used Cetol gloss topcoat but not on decks. It is indeed very glossy so it may be too slick for a deck. Cetol is a relatively soft finish so I'd imagine it wouldn't last too long on a surface like a cockpit grate but that's just my opinion. Maybe Capt. Nemo will chime in here...he has more experience with Cetol than I do.
bob23

skip1930

If you'd like gloss how about a couple of coats of Poly Urethane gloss over any gloss Cetol? More durable.
I agree it's slippery when wet. I think that's why the molded fiberglass sole on my CP-19 is non~slip.

skip.

capt_nemo

Did I hear (read) someone mention my name?

A few comments.

First, I believe the note to not use on decks is for two reasons. The finish is both SLICK and SOFT. The softness results in it not holding up very well in high traffic areas such as decks.

Second, using the gloss over any of the regular Cetol finishes makes maintenance a real PITA unless you religiously maintain the gloss topcoats. Normally, maintenance requires just lightly scrubbing the regular Cetol finish with a Scotchbrite Pad, rinsing thoroughly, drying, and then applying one or more maintenance coats WITHOUT SANDING between coats. With the gloss wearing unevenly on the wood you now have the problem of prepping the surface properly before recoating with regular Cetol finish and Gloss topcoats which would probably involve more aggressive cleaning or even sanding the surface.

Third, when multiple coats (3 or 4) of regular Cetol finish are applied initially the surface will have a very nice satin shine to it.

I have used Cetol for many years on several boats, large and small, with lots of Teak and have NEVER applied the Gloss as a topcoat. And, I have been quite satisfied with its performance. My current Com Pac Sun Cat exterior and interior wood was coated three years ago and still looks great. I do keep the boat covered on the trailer when not in use.

capt_nemo

Koinonia

I also agree about not putting a finish on teak that is a walked on surface, granted some teak and holy soles in boats are highly varnished.  There are also so many brands and types of varnish out there as well.  Currently Im using Epiphanes and have been very impressed with it.  I always spend a couple days on my boat in the fall and spring to care for my boats teak and polished hull.  For the teak if I have a damaged spot I will sand and recoat just that spot as if I was starting from scratch,  afterwards I just rub over all the teak with a grey scotchbright pad and recoat with a thinned coat so help maintain UV protection but avoid to much buildup.
   Of course there are books on the subject, you just have to find what works for you.  My methods are kind of my own after doing this for years as is keeping the hull looking shinny but thats another subject.

carry-on

Thanks to all for the input. Believe we will stay with the Cetol light. Easy to maintain and the grate comes out of the boat when not sailing, so the sun effect is low.
Hope all had a good Thanksgiving. Among our many blessings is the generous help available from the CPYOA. 
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

Is there a product that will remove / strip the Cetol Oil from my Teak other than sanding?

Glenn B.

Koinonia

I wish I could remember the name of the book but there was one that had alot of illustrations from Hinckleys.  Had alot of good tips on application and removal.  Depending on the area there are the option of scraping, or using a heat gun and scraping, both have a good bit of learning curve.

Glenn Basore

That was the type of work I was trying to avoid!  too much work.............

I was thinking of trying a Paint Removal gel ?

Glenn B.