a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

rudder refinishing

Started by fasteddie, November 19, 2012, 05:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasteddie

just removed the rudder on my new 1982, 19, it has gouges or pcs. out of it, i was going to fill them in with west  SIX adhesive , which comes already mixed, one of my questions are, in the compac handbook it states NOT to put anti fouling paint on the rudder because it will interact with it and cause deterioration, and it should be kept out of the water. mine already was painted twice, i can see two colors, is my rudder some type of metal ?. Should i sand and fill gouges, and leave it bare and out of water when not sailing? Whats the best way to clean it up, am I on the right track.
CP 19  "La Bella Vita"  hull #45

Tim Gardner

FE,

I assume you have the aluminum plate blade rudder that was standard in the 19's.  The time and money required to repair your AL blade rudder would be better spent on an IDA sailor foil shape rudder.  Check with Hutchins the likely have the foiled rudder for a 19 as well.

Congrats on buying a 19 - It's a great boat - perfect blend of room, stability and trailorinessibility. 

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

MacGyver

I would need pictures to totally answer this properly and also what kinds of paint were on it.

Reason is because there is additives in paint that cause electrolysis and that is a issue with dissimilar metals. That is why they say not to paint it.

IF IT IS PAINTED: I recommend that you sand it all off, or strip it all off to the aluminum.
Fair out the blade if you would like to, using that SIX is fine.
But be sure all paint is removed as the paint is sacrificial and would cause a bond issue.

If you wanted to paint the blade, several coats of Epoxy would be needed to provide a base, then use the paint on top of it  so that the blade is protected from fouling then.
The Epoxy would keep the blade from pitting again, and keep the electrolysis from occurring.

This is most prevalent amoungst Props and outboard drives that people paint....... great idea, poor execution.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

fasteddie

thanks for the info,im going to try to sand, fill, and paint with expoxy, then put anti fouling paint on it, ill let everyone know how it turned out ill do before and after, and see if i know how to post them.
CP 19  "La Bella Vita"  hull #45