Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1979 ComPac 16 Restoration

Started by keyskid, November 15, 2012, 02:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyskid

Hi Everyone-

Thought you all might be interested in seeing some pictures of my CP16.  I did a lot of restoration work and still have some yet to go.  I'd be glad to answer any questions about the process.  I've learned a lot from this website and would be glad to help give back in some way.

photobucket.com/user/noobtankz/library/1979%20ComPac%2016

Thanks

Steven

Greene

Wow!  You took on quite a project and created one fine little Com-Pac 16.  You'll be sailing her with one big grin on your face.

Congratulations,

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

jeffcom16

great work steven, the more of these beauties that get restored the better!!!!!!!! :D

Bob23

Hi Steven and welcome! The boat looks great...I'll be sending you my 1985 23/2 for a similair redo! I love the outboard! Looking forward to many more posts from you!
Where are your home waters?
bob23 in NJ

Glenn Basore

Steven,

I have restored a number of old antique cars over the years and I must say, Job well done!

I know and appreciate the amount of work, time and money it takes to accomplish a task like this.

Its always nice when we can bring something back from the past and make usefull again.

Glenn B.

kickingbug1

what a project. you are definitely a guy who isnt afraid of a challenge. great job. one question---what kind of outboard is that and how old is it. and i thought my 68 cruise and carry was old.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

keyskid

Thank you for the kind words.  Many times during the project I wondered "what the heck was I thinking" but I'm happy with the results.  This website was extremely helpful along the way.

Bob23- I'm in Marathon right in the middle on the Florida Keys.

kickingbug1- The engine is an entirely different project!  That is a 1963 British Seagull Forty Plus Long Shaft.   It was given to me seized with a shot ignition system.  After a year of work, a complete teardown and some "spares" from the UK I got it running again.

Steven

jthatcher

good morning!   what a great set of photos..  and a job well done.  I hope that i never have to lift the deck of of Adagio, but, if I do, now i have a great reference to use for the job..  nice piece of engineering!     and you are in FL  -  how nice is that.. plenty of sailing left this year!    i need to go scrape the frost off of my windshield now  :)    jt

Koinonia

Wow great work!  Ive gone nuts before but never did pull a deck off!!  I did a small boat restoration once though it wasnt a compac.

028 by koinonia27, on Flickr

Rob

Steven your a man to be respected .Thank you for sharing your project with us.  Rob

bimmerhead

Awesome Job Steven!

I think you just tackled the biggest job anyone can do to a CP-16!

I have a question though, I didn't see the old compression post during the demo phase, and I didn't see it or a new compression post being installed after the deck was reattached, is one installed? If not, did you do anything to support the cabin top or mast tabernacle?

Just curious..

Thanks for your dedication to saving the sweetest little sailboats out there, the CP-16!

keyskid

Thanks again.  I hope these pictures will help anyone who decides to take on the task of restoring one of these boats.  We actually went out yesterday on Florida Bay.  Winds were steady 15 with gusts to 20.  Waves 1-2 ft with some 3s thrown in for good measure.  It seems to me that the CP16 sails better in bigger wind as opposed to light breezes.

bimmerhead- I'll try to find a picture of what the compression post used to look like.  It was probably original. The problem was that the bulkhead it was attached to had rotted so badly that there was a 1" gap between the top of the post and the cabin roof!  Needless to say it was not doing its job.  I wasn't too keen on the factory design either.  I didn't like relying on the two bolts in shear through a sheet of plywood to support the mast loads.  My solution was to place a PT 2x4 under the mast that rests right atop the keel.  Transferring the loads straight to the keel is how it's done on bigger boats so I figured it would work here as well.  I don't have a picture of the new setup at the moment but I will post one soon.

Steven

MacGyver

Glad to see someone else with a Seagull other than me.
Mine hadnt run in something like near 30 years.
2nd pull, and off she ran, was leaking fuel like a pig from bad hose, but I had to give it a try.

Works awesome, nice engine.

Where did you get parts from? I might have to order a few myself, and maybe use the engine a few times just for the hell of it.

Nice job on the boat too!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

keyskid

MacGyver-  Those Seagulls are a very hardy engine for sure.  Mine has a mind of its own but always will fire up on that second pull!  I got a number of parts from this site http://www.britishseagulls.com/.  Just write down your model/serial number, call and speak with John.  He knows everything there is to know about these engines and was very helpful. I had to buy some Villiers ignition parts from George at http://www.villiersparts.co.uk/.  He wasn't quite as pleasant but it may have been because I'm a Yank  ::).  I may have some pictures from that rebuild as well.  If I can find those pictures then I will post them.  Good Luck!