a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Johnson quick release levers

Started by Daydreaming, October 29, 2012, 11:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daydreaming

Anyone use these?  If so, forestay, backstay, do you like them, what size, how do they attach?  Both my forestay and backstay have male threaded ends and use turnbuckles.  Getting that tiny pin and cotter ring in while stepping the mast is a pain.  Would the above item be a good solution?  What are your thoughts?  I don't have any trouble stepping the mast it's just pinning that forestay I'm not liking.
Great sail yesterday.  Wind 6kts temp. 60f  Sailed till sunset.  Ole number 67 still sails and looks great.  I am going to attempt to post a video to youtube next.  Wish me luck.

Fair Winds

Greene

B and I used a Johnson lever for the front stay on our CP16.  It worked great!  Go online and look at the Johnson site to find what you believe will work for your application.  Print out the page (with prices) and take it to your local West Marine.  They will price match and make sure you are getting the right lever.

Mike and Brenda
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Lafayette Bruce

My CP19 came with a Johnson quick release when I bought her.  It was on the forestay with hanked on sails.  I wanted a furler so the Johnson was moved to the backstay where it lives happily under a Davis turnbuckle boot.  I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

Daydreaming

Thanks a bunch.  I think I really want one.  How does it attatch to the backstay?  Does it thread on to it?  My backstay has a threaded male end.  Or will I need to get some type of adapter?

Lafayette Bruce

Best way to describe it is with a picture.  Sorry about the wierdo effect.  I was taking pictures so I could replace my standing rigging and pushed solarize by accident.
Lafayette Bruce

Lafayette Bruce

Daydreaming

I cannot thank you enough!  You are awesome, this forum is awesome.  I can only hope to be of some assistance to someone on here someday.  ;D

Fair Winds