a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

traier weight

Started by johnbeard43, September 16, 2012, 08:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbeard43

Thinking about purchasing a horizon cat.  Has anyone actually weighed one to determine the trailering weight?  thanks

shamblin

i havent weighed mine.  my odyssey is rated for 3500 lbs and i think im close to the limit.

CaptRon28

Scroll down to the next page on the message list. I weighed mine when I bought it about 2 years ago. The weight on the two axles is about 3800 pounds, plus about 400 more on the trailer hitch. That give about 4200 pounds in total. Mine has the diesel, the outboard version is probably a drop less. I'd guess that the empty trailer is the 1,000 pound range, so the boat is about 3200 pounds by itself.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

carry-on

Several Eclipses on sailingtexas.com are listed at 2500 pounds displacement including 600 pounds ballast. The numbers may be correct or just folks copying each other. Suggest you call Hutchins Yachts in Clearwater Fl.(727-443-4408) to get good info on the OB and Diesel models.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

CaptRon28

With absolutely nothing on board that did not come with the boat, my 2008 Horizon is an actual 700 pounds heavier than the official ComPac specs, based on several trips to a certified truck scale. That's 3200 vs 2500 pounds. The diesel counts for some of this. The rest is almost normal - every boat that I've ever owned weighed considerably more than what the builder thinks it did. A 40 foot Catalina was nearly 4,000 pounds heavier !!

Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

johnbeard43

Thanks for all the info.  I suspected the boat was heavier than manufacturers specs.   This will help in selecting a tow vehicle.