a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Yet another trip to the well

Started by reedtg3, August 15, 2012, 08:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reedtg3

I'm sure the heat has something to do with it, but I can't figure out how to remove a deformed fitting (the one that gets bent even more when you aren't able to insert the long pin properly -- because you didn't notice that it was already bent when you took delivery -- before lowering the mast) from the mast track to replace it.  In fact, I can't figure out how the dealer inserted the plastic slugs on the luff of the sail into the mast track when he (or someone under his direction) put the sail on before I took delivery.  The Sun Cat Owners Handbook is not helpful.  All it says is "Your mainsail has plastic slugs shackled to the luff tape.  The slugs go into the slot of the mast."  Yes, I know.  But every other boat I've ever sailed has had a cutout to make insertion possible.  If there's one on my mast, I haven't found it yet.  I have checked the Catboat Guide and Sailing Manual and the archives here, but I can't find anything on how to put the sail on or remove it.  It has to be so simple that an explanation is not required.  If there is a cutout, where would it be?  There must be a simpler solution than removing the hinge from the mast stub in order to bend on the sail?  Any ideas?
TReed, CP 17 SC 377 Cattail, Lake Harris, FL       

rogerschwake

Had a broken slug on my boat when I bought it. The only way I could figure out was to take the two 1/4" bolts out that the mast hinges on. That opens up the grove that the slugs fit in. Good luck ROGER.

cavie

They don't put a mast gate on the mast because they designed it to leave the sail on the boom and in the mast track. To remove you must take the hinge apart.

reedtg3

Well I'll be ....  You boys aren't kidding, are you?  Don't I feel like Christopher Columbus, now, waiting for my next discovery.  Anyone know an incantation I can recite to purge myself of all expectation until I learn the mysterious ways of the Sun Cat?  If not, I'll just have to be content knowing that the well 'neath the font of knowledge that is this forum is deep.  Many thanks.
TReed, CP 17 SC 377 Cattail, Lake Harris, FL

ontarioSuncat

You do not have to remove the mast!!! I purchased 4 SS sail slug shackles from West marine and use these. I opened the plastic ones that come with the original sail slugs and tossed them I remove the sail by opening the Shackle and leave the slugs on the mast.
Real easy for a few $$
Hope that helps
John

reedtg3

Removed the hinge -- piece o' cake -- gotterdone!

Galnorth

I got tired of taking apart the hinge  to put the sail on and off and last year installed a Mast Gate from  mastgates.com.  It's basically a piece of stainless bent to fit securely around the mast slot and cover a slot to put the slugs in and out.  I tried the hinged version but the arrangement was not secure enough to handle the suncat gaff when raising the sail.  I've now screwed in place - I need to take out two screws to get it off but it's secure and easier than taking apart the hinge.  If I had to do it again I'd just buy the external fixed version.   The owner was very good to do business with me and refunded the difference between the fixed and hinged version when I provided details of my initial problems.  I installed the gate above the hinge and normal boom position but below the first slug position when the sail is up.