a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I need a Bimini. help me make up my mind

Started by MacGyver, August 07, 2012, 03:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

At CLR the guys had Biminis on their 19s, nice deal, and frankly I dont think I want to run without one now, considering we are roasting out there.......

So, what do I need? Well, I have been looking them up and all that and have found they are made of SS or aluminum, different sizes, etc.....

So what I am asking for is a few things, who made yours?
Where does it mount?
How big is it?
What materials is it made of?

Thanks for any help, I have heard all different things including building my own, but I am not sure I have the time to do that for a while.... I already have enough to do, LOL

Thanks alot!
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Saluki86

Jason,

I snapped this of a boat at a marina I was visiting this summer.  I dont know anything about it and looking at it again the picture is actually pretty poor but I think you can get the gist of it.....a tarp attached to 2 bent PVC pipes and then tied off.  The plastic tarp probably makes it hot but it looked cheap and is made out of materials readily available for a least a temporary solution.

Saluki

Saluki86

Billy

I got mine from the Com-Pac factory

I think I paid about $400 for it. It was discounted b/c they had it in stock. Which was still really expensive. I'm sure you can find a cheaper one online. They are worth their weight in GOLD.

It's aluminum, which I think is better than SS.
1. it's lighter
2. less corrosive
3. while not as strong it doesn't need to be, and it is cheaper than SS.

I can't remember what the fabric is, but it is not Sunbrella. So far it is holding up here in the FL sun pretty good.

if you look really close you might be able to read the tag.

It is mounted on a short track, and I can fold it forward of the companionway hatch for those not so hot days...

you can barley see the track just inside of the genoa track

Unfortunately I don't have the measurements, but I'm sure a quick email to Gerry at the factory will get you a quick answer with the exact specs.

Billy
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Lafayette Bruce

Jason
Mine is aluminimum and I wish it were stonger.  It gets bumped into some and/or held on to for stability and it wobbles.  I had to cut it down by about 2" to get it comfortably under the boom.  I got it about 15 years ago for ~$250 and as long as I keep a cover on it when it is not in use, it seems to be holding up well.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

Billy

Bruce,
I don't think the wobbles are from it being aluminum. It is probably either from the straps not being ridgid or the plastic at the ends of the frame flexing. Of corse i could be wrong since I don't have a ss frame though. But every Bimini I have ever seen wobbles under a load.

I have seen rigid ones without straps that don't wobble quite as much, but they don't fold down out of the way. Typically used on larger cruisers with a dodger.

But an aluminum frame can bend and crease. And you can't bend it back without it splitting. you REALLY would have to try to bend a ss frame though.

But the of ss is ALOT more $$$.

MacGyver

Bruce, any idea how high yours is?  (I wish I would have thought about this at CLR....... :( )

Currently I am looking at a 6 foot long, 74 inch wide, 36 inch high model.....
One on Defender called WestLand Sharkskin.......

Mac 8)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

While I also don't enjoy being roasted alive while sailing, the one thing I don't like about a bimini is that it blocks my view of the mainsail. I'm the kind of guy who's always looking at the sails and making adjustments. I'm in the process of making a cover to be used while at anchor to keep the cabin and cockpit cooler but while under sail, my present solution is the Econo-Bim, essentially a beach umbrella clamped to the sternrail. I may splurge and add a second one!

It actually works better than you'd think.
Cheers! Bob23

Lafayette Bruce

Mac
Not sure how tall it is.  But I would recommend measuring your own boat just in case your main is taller or shorter than mine.  A great time to do it is when there is no wind.  You will have the sail up yet you can hold it at midship and then measure from the bottom of the boom vertically to a straight edge laying across the combings and then from the combings on down to the deck where you want to mount it.  Give yourself a couple inches of clearance.
I don't remember if you have a topping lift or some way to keep the boom up when you drop sails.  I wouldn't think you would want to drop the boom and sails on the bimini.
Keep us posted,
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

jthatcher

you might want to give the folks at Ameriseam  a call to get a quote.   i bought my bimini from them last summer..    it was a good fit and an easy install...   we sure appreciate being protected from the sun...    jt

Shawn

I have a Carter Industries bimini on Serenity. I bought it from Ameri-Brands but there are several other dealers as well. They are made from Sunbrella and offer SS hardware upgrades as well as full SS tubing. Due to being docked in salt water I went with full SS. It is mounted on a 4' track so I can adjust where it is positioned.

To keep it up while sailing it needs to be pretty far forward so that the mainsheet can clear. As Bob said it does block much of the view of the mainsail but you can lean over the side to see up. Sitting far back on the stern gives a bit of a view of the sail. On the really hot days it is a worthwhile tradeoff IMO. It does make raising/lowering or reefing the sail a bit more difficult while it is up though and it is more difficult to go forward.

Shawn

Billy

Shawn,
you just made me think of another benefit of the bimini. It catches the mainsail when you drop it and makes it much easier to flank over the boom. Almost like a set of lazy jacks!

Sitting aft, you can see the main fairly well due to the angle of the main sheet keeping the bimini forward.

And often I stand for a good view and my crew sit under in the shade.

and a video (I hope this works!)

Bob23

Billy: Your video worked. And cool side-feature as a mainsail capturer. I like the bimini but it's not in the budget this year. I'm gonna buy a second umbrella! Hey JY: I forgot  you had a bimini. Guess who's boat we're gonna hang out on at the Bash? Maybe we'll do a nice raft-up.
bob23

Koinonia

I like the tarp idea, It would be great with one of those white tarps.  I agree the brown or traditional blue would be very hot. 

skip1930

Simple boom tent at the wall. [No not Pink Floyd, which I'm enjoying as I peck this out.]

skip.