a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lake Champlain cruise....2 suncats

Started by frank, July 24, 2012, 09:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank

Rick and I had a GREAT week on the lake! good winds, great scenery, a good book and a box of wine. Doesn't get much better  ;)     
Pictures here     http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,3719.0.html
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

reedtg3

Well done, Frank.  What kind of dinghy is that in the pictures?
Tom, CP 17 SC 377 "Cattail" Lake Harris, FL

frank

They are inflatables we purchased at West Marine years back on our Buzzards Bay cruise. They store in a bag and actually paddle quite well. They were "on sale" for $149 at the time. We're both happy with the lil kayaks

Rahn

I just got home from my annual 2 week cruise in the North Channel and would like to cruise Lake Champlain since I'm only 4 hours away. Where did you launch and can you recommend anchorages? Also, I like your dodgers and would appreciate more info on them.

Here's some pictures of my cruise. It was the first time I went solo.

frank

This last cruise was our 2nd on Lake Champlain. There are a multitude of launch sites all along the lake on both the NY and Vermont sides....so the direction you are coming from will determine the best site. Google searchs turned up so many we were a bit overwhelmed and this trip settled on one near "Peru" NY. Good ramp and safe parking. We sailed the southern end in 07...more northerly this trip. The entire lake is beautiful with aboundant anchorages all over. A chart will show you the veriety depending on wind.

I've sailed the North Channel 3 cruises as well.....very nice area! You should start a new thread on your "North Channel cruise" and "Horizon Cat". That makes it easier for people searching for info to find it.  

I requested the dodger to my specs from Hutchins. It was the 1st one on a Suncat. I had them put a zipper on the aft end.....a "roll up" sunshade then zips on, ties mid way to boom....then clips on the boom gallows. On or off takes about a minute. Makes it a lot more livable in rain or hot sun.

Have fun out there.

trying to upload pics but "techno phobe" here can't seem to get it  ;-)

frank

Hurray!!  Just had a 14yr old show me how to post a pic   ;D         "underway"

Rahn

Thanks for the picture. I always wondered about putting a dodger on my boat. Here is a picture of me pulling my Hobie Inflatable Kayak. This was in Fraser Bay in 2011.

This picture is in Lansdowne Channel which I believe was 2009 with my Suncat towing a Hobie Adventure

Some friends are planning to cruise Lake Champlain this August and I plan to join them, depending on when my kids need to return to college.

frank

Wow!! That appears to be quite the engine on your suncat. Is it a 9.9??
Hope you make it to the lake....enjoy yourself.

Rahn

That's what came with the Suncat when I bought it. It was a 9.9. Someone thought it looked like an oil derrick :) so I replaced it the next year with a Tohatsu 6hp which worked much better.

frank

In the last pic of your suncat it kinda looks like you have an upgraded rudder? Was it an aftermarket?

Shawn

Nice boom tent! Did you build that?

Shawn

Rahn

The rudder system was an after market rudder/plate/tiller from Idasailor. Without a doubt it was my favorite upgrade for the Suncat, though the $600 for the system was steep.

http://www.ruddercraft.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=136

The tent was made for my Suncat by John Manson who sails the Suncat Wanderer. He has made a few for people who requests it though I'm not sure if he still does. I liked it so much that I "made it work" on my Horizon Cat.

frank

That rudder certainly looks way more efficient! I'm such a clutz tho...I often forget to pull mine up at the ramp before hauling out...the tinka tink sound as it gets dragged up the ramp lets me know I "forgot again". I'm afraid I'd make a mess of a glass one in short order  ;D ;D

Rahn

It's actually made of a plastic type material. You will gain a couple of degrees of upwind performance and better steering on all points. The system comes with a new tiller and the raising mechanism is really great. The rudder alone is a huge improvement over the stainless plate that comes with the boat. Here's a couple of videos. I would put one on my Horizon Cat if it were available though I am finally getting used to the wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk1XwXuAll0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfevm-1ujQ

reedtg3

I suspect that you guys acquired a wealth of knowledge on your cruise as to what one should have aboard, where to stow it, and what you could have done without.  Any tips you can share with us newbies would be most appreciated.
Tom, CP 17 SC 377 Cattail, Lake Harris, FL