a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Blue Carpet.....

Started by MacGyver, July 19, 2012, 07:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

So anyone replace the floor carpet in a 19? what is there under it, etc......

We personally dont like the blue carpet there, and I have seen boats with other stuff in its place, but dont really know what all is needed to get the job done....

Figured I should ask before I possibly start ripping it up this winter to find out for myself.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Keith

Hey Mac,

I just ripped mine out last summer.  It was glued down with some kind of contact cement I guess and came up pretty easily.  Underneath appears to be a few layers of fiberglass mat over the cement ballast.  I bought a new piece of light blue marine carpet from Defender (BTW I've had fantastic service from Defender and only use the other big parts house as a last resort) cut it to fit and just laid it down without cement.  Looks and feels 100% better.

HTH,

Keith

MacGyver

I love defender,
I work at a marina, ends up that my discount on life jackets was 240 bucks, defender had em for 200!!!!! WOW!!!    I never said where I bought them from when I was asked at work.......

What other sites do you use?

Also thanks so much for the input, I was looking the other day and it looked like the carpet went to the edges of the wood trim, that got me thinking, but before I put much effort into tearing it up I figured it would be better to ask.....   

We have 2 small nervous dogs and the hair in the carpet sucks also...... so another reason to change it is for easier cleanup.

Thanks alot!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Lafayette Bruce

Mac-
Make it classy.  Put in teak & holly.  For no more square area of sole that is in the 19 the cost will not be outrageous.  I was at the right place at the right time and got some marine grade teak & holly laminate and installed in my 19 and I have been very pleased.  With the laminate I don't worry as much about it getting wet or dented and it has a little better traction than the finished real stuff.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

MacGyver

Bruce,

By laminate what do you mean?
Like.click together floor or a vinyl style floor?
Or a sheet of.plywood laminate with veneered top?

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

As all are saying the thin blue carpet is literally glued down on top of the cement keel that has since turned to concrete with no padding under it.
I went to Target and found rug runner that fits rather well. Nice and soft plus I can shake it out or vacuum it.

If one was to lay down a wood floor of some kind I'd say that the carpet needs to be pulled up and a under flooring would be necessary. I'd slurry down a water base ceramic paste used for under the tile [Palmer Johnson Yachts uses this ceramic paste] and once that sets, smooth and hard, glue down the wood. It will add weight to the boat. The space spanned will not be great enough to require a plywood sub floor. Nothing is going to bend or crack. Put the 1/4 round back down and it'll look fine.

skip. Just a glimps of the runner here.

Billy

I'm with skip on this one. While the teak and holly looks great, I went to the carpet section at the home depot. Right next to the roll of that blue stuff was a roll of some grey outdoor carpet.

I bought about $10 worth and cut it about a 1/4 larger on each side and tucked it under the wood trim. Looks like factory installed carpet.

Nice on the feet, can get wet, and doesn't scratch from sand or coolers.

Plus the top of the keel is a bit lumpy and that would need to be smoothed out before wood goes down.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

MacGyver

:)
Issue is the dogs we have shed like crazy and the hair is hard to get out of carpet. Since we plan to take them and they are bad shedders when nervous, I am thinking strongly about changing that floor so that it is easier to clean up.

I was just asking Bruce what he used as there are several different ways to go about doing this and at CLR I didnt really look hard to know what kind of floor was in his boat. Since laminate can mean several different floors, I wanted to be sure I exhaust all my options before buying a certain type. (Lord knows no option is cheap....)

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Lafayette Bruce

Jason
I was on a tour of the Peason Marine Gp factory in Rhode Island back in '99 and asked if I could buy a piece of the material they were putting in their boats.  He agreed and I paid about $150 for a 2x7' piece (he later admitted he lost his shirt on the deal).  I think the material is out of France, not really sure what it officially is.

When you take he carpet up the top of the concrete ballast is exposed so you will need to put something, like 3/8 or 1/2 marine ply down to give you a flat surface to adhere the laminate to.  I keep a small rug on the sole just to give it a warmer touch but I think you will like getting rid of the nasty blue carpet.  I keep a 12VDC automotive vacuum on board and sweep her out a couple times a season.
Keep us posted on what you end up with.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

MacGyver

That is what I thought you had put down, and yes, by experience, I can say you got a hell of a deal.

That stuff you have is what I wanted to put down, but knew it was expensive as heck!

Thanks!
Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

comfortably numb

Some choices among boat manufactures as well as the aftermarket sector are products with the trade names of PlasTEAK , PlasDECK , Nuteak and Teaka (sp) I checked a few out a few months ago, some come in 4 ft wide sheets and some in 6 or 8" strips and in the minimum quantities offers the tag was around $150 bucks or greater. But I did not investigate them all and anyone can check out their sites. I called one based here in Ohio to see if they sold remnants and they did not. I decided to go with some strip vinyl wood grain flooring from a big box store for about $ 30, plan to do it this spring. I have to keep the profile low so the new Dometic Sealand Sanipot  will fit and slide out for use. I will check all that out upon arrival of the john and when the tarp comes off. 4x8 wood laminates are also out there for about the same money.  ::)

fasteddie

check out my refinished floor on page 6, compac updates
CP 19  "La Bella Vita"  hull #45

MacGyver

Not sure where you mean to look for that FastEddie.

I looked in cp19 page 6 but didnt find what you are talking about....... :(

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Lafayette Bruce

Quote from: MacGyver on February 17, 2013, 06:12:37 PM
That is what I thought you had put down, and yes, by experience, I can say you got a hell of a deal.

That stuff you have is what I wanted to put down, but knew it was expensive as heck!

Thanks!
Mac

So Jason... have you found the "stuff" that I have as my cabin sole?  What is its official name?
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

MacGyver

Bruce, I did find it, it is Teak and Holly Plywood.
That stuff is very solid, as the laminates are setup to be through and through, literally no defects.

Price range for a 3/4 sheet is 400 to 500 bucks, but still needs shipped.

Doubt I will be doing that, LOL

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.