a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat Anchor Roller

Started by reedtg3, July 14, 2012, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reedtg3

Sun Cat newbie here.  Does anyone know the make and model of the bow anchor roller Hutchins installs on the Sun Cat?  I would expect that the roller was designed for a specific anchor type and weight, but I haven't been able to find that information yet.  If you have the factory installed roller on your Sun Cat, I would like to hear which anchor you are using and whether you are satisfied with it.
Tom
CP 17 SC 377 "Cattail"   

skip1930

I'll bet you can find the roller in a West Marine Catalog. Most of their ancillary boat accessories are from West Marine.

I use an 8 lb Danforth on my CP-19. [see Photobucket pics] And I keep a smaller 5 lb [?] Danforth with 3 ft chain and 50 ft of line under the settee for a quick ground tackle stop for lunch if I'm just gunk holing around.

skip.

bfelton

Once you pick your anchor try Windline.  They produce anchor rollers among other things.  Ordering directly from the factory can often be the best price.

Bert Felton

Salty19

You'll want to pick your anchor based on the bottom conditions found where you plan to anchor. Each type have different holding characteristics for rocky, gravel, mud, deep mud, sand, limestone, etc type bottoms.   FOr example, I drag a dansforth big time on the shale bottom of our lake as the tines do not dig in.  But the Lewmar claw type (Bruce style, non swiveling) works great.  Then once you've chosen the anchor type, you'll see specs for that anchor for recommended boat lengths to use with that anchor.  It could range from 4-20lbs on a Suncat depending on which type. Doesn't hurt to go one size bigger, especially ifs you're in tides/current or rough water.

Here's a guide to anchors, although I would suggest looking at other sites  and printed publications for more complete info.

http://www.anchoring.com/article_info.php?articles_id=4

We have a danforth, 2 claws, one CQR, and one grapnel type anchor. Right now I'm just carrying the two claws (one on bowsprit, one in container) both with long rode as they work well where I usually sail-again shale type rock.  But when we go to, say, the CLR event (Carlyle Lake Rendezvous for Compacs, being held next month in Carlyle, IL), the Danforth will be used as it's a mud bottom. Once I get around to making another wood rope coiling doohicky (technical term there)  I'll get the grapnel on board mainly for anchoring in a cove for short periods and for a last ditch means to keep the boat from hitting a dam, and probably destroyed, should all means to propel fail (a steel line barrier is here which the grapnel would "hook"). The logic here is if a tree root traps the anchor and I can't retrieve it, the grapnel is a whole lot cheaper than a claw to replace).

The Compac factory is a great source for parts-you are guaranteed they will fit.  That's a huge benefit of owning a Compac vs out of business brands...you get support from the factory, and their customer service is outstanding.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

bfelton

Salty,
    Great response except a 20 pound anchor sounds awfully big.  I use a 22 pound Bruce (the real thing) on my Flicka which weighs 3 tons.

Bert Felton

Tim22

Last year I installed a bow roller supplied by Hutchins on my Suncat. The roller is slightly customized as it has a stainless u ring over the anchor that the forestay attaches to. One of the problems with the Suncat bow roller is that the normal boat movement will cause the flukes of some anchors to hit the bow topsides. I discovered this when I installed a danforth on the roller. I subsequently changed it for a claw which works fine as I only use it as a lunch hook.

Tim

reedtg3

Thanks, Tim.  What size claw do you have?
Tom

Tim22

I'm not at the boat but I believe it is a 5kg (approx 11 lbs). I won't be back at the boat until next weekend so can't verify it until then.  Sorry about that.

Tim

bfelton

Tim,
What do you use to stop the anchor from rolling back forth in the roller?

Bert Felton

steve brown

Hi Bert, I have a chain stop on my new Suncat. Com-pac installed it for me along with the bow roller and the claw-type anchor. You can get the lock at West Marine. It has a spring loaded pin that goes through the chain. It works perfectly. Kind regards, Steve

bfelton

Tim22

Hi Bert
The chain pipe has a locking mechanism built in whereby the square cutout at the join between the hinged top and the pipe won't let the chain run when the top is closed. in addition to this I tie the anchor to the roller as a backup measure.

Tim

bfelton

Tim,
My Bruce 11 is sent up the same way as your.  In addition I added a shock cord which is tied to the bow cleat and hooked l through the hole in the anchor just before it curves downward.

Bert