a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

air conditioning

Started by MacGyver, June 22, 2012, 03:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Has anyone put a window ac unit in their boat using the hatch board? Or the bomar hatch up front etc on a cp19 or really any boat for that matter?
I am working up ideas to do one on ours so we can use it when its hot out and we have our little dogs with us that are like 2 little heaters.....

Thanks
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

Toolman did on his Eclipse.  Here's a couple of pics..

[/img]

You might recognize the marina :)

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

That is exactly what I am thinking of doing, how do they get out of the boat when it is in, through a front hatch? or just going over this thing?

How can I contact him to get some more details? (I am a forum noob so be gentle, LOL)

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

brackish

saw a 5K BTU installed in a 23 by mounting it in the bulkhead that separates the port cockpit locker from the port main cabin berth.  Cut a hole and permanently mounted it.  condensate drain into the bilge, but I imagine you could put a thru hull fitting to drain it.  could leave it there and not have to move it to get in and out.  Does the 19 have that bulkhead?

MacGyver

If I am understanding it right, no we dont have that. :(  As much as it will be a pain to move about, it will be worth moving it and such (or going in and out through the v berth hatch) not to hear my wife moan about the heat, LOL
-Alaine Gerbault.

Greene

On our 19 we went with the poor man's a/c.  One piece of plywood with a screen covering a hole that was made to fit this window fan.  It really worked well and we even ended up running it when we sat in the cockpit on those hot days at West Access Marina.  We used it as a screen when we were away from the docks and at anchor.

Mike and B
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Salty19

Jason, send a personal message to "Toolman" about it. You should see a "My Messages" link in blue along the top of the page.  In the "To" box, type in Toolman then type in your message below.

I don't know how he manipulates it, but pretty sure it just sits on the lips of the doorway and comes out aft. Or rather sits in a frame which sits on the lip.

He just bought the smallest unit he could find..not much room in these boats.

Shawn

"saw a 5K BTU installed in a 23 by mounting it in the bulkhead that separates the port cockpit locker from the port main cabin berth."

That boat was recently for sale again at the Sailboat Company. Looks like it is now sold as the listing is gone.

That was a really clean installation that boat also had the pull out stove removed. I believe they also had a small Honda inverter so they could run the AC on the water.

Shawn

HideAway

We use a bulkhead mounted fan bought at an auto parts store.  It oscillates  and in conjunction with the wind scoop keeps us comfortable.  On really hot nights we sleep in the cockpit under the bimini.   A friend of mine used the hatch board mount for the ac on his 32 Morgan.   It was a pain to get around - I can t imagine trying that set up on HideAway- the work/benefit ratio is wrong. 

It does not take much of a breeze to pump a lot of air with the wind scoop.  There have been times even during the summer heat that it has been too cool - but then after 30 years in Fl we are probably  more heat tolerant and we usually have a sea breeze.   M
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Salty19

chas5131

Have seen pictures of the portable units that are put on the floor and a hose is run to a windowin boats.  With that type a short hatchboard could be cut out for the hose fitting and the unit secured in the  cabin. 
It would be easier to access the cabin.

Keith

Man, I bet you could hang meat in that boat.

skip1930

The more the boat becomes a home, the less of a boat it remains...

A skipisum.

capt_nemo

Jason,

Consider a small portable free standing ac unit (on rollers) that you can take below and place near an opening port to exhaust the hot air. Condensate is caught in a resevoir that is emptied periodically. You can find them new in Lowes and Home Depot and used ones are sometimes in the classifieds. I have two such units that are used to air condition my Florida garage when I am working on projects in the hot summer months.

You may even be able to find a place below to strap it down securely kinda out of the way when sailing. Just take a few minutes to hook 'er up and turn it on when you return to dockside power. Such a unit eliminates the problem of getting in and out of the boat with ac unit installed in a companionway hatch board.

Food for thought??

capt_nemo

MacGyver

actually we did look at those......... Thought it was a good idea till we thought about getting around on the inside and using the porta potty and such as well it would be in the way. otherwise we most certainly did think that route would be the best. We also figured out a way to eat on the boat using a cooler, nice setup and we both get along still! LOL

Thanks though!
Those are nice...... wish I had a few in my shop...... atleast until the electric bill came.......

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.