a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Differences in 19, any ideas?

Started by MacGyver, May 27, 2012, 07:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I thought we bought a 1989 Compac 19 XL, but then we hoist the main sail and it has 19/3 on it,
The jib has a written thing on it on the foot or clew that says 19/2, then on the opposite it has 19/3 (looks like writings from the maker, which these are johnson sails......)

Then as i look at the book today that the previous owner sent me, it has a sale brochure and 19/2 on it with a business card attached......

What in the hell is the differences? I saw sailrite has a listing for the sail quoter for 19/1, 19/2, 19/3.
Any one clear this up for me? and extra info is always good, as I have not been able to make total sense of this.

Thanks everyone, I know someone will know for sure. And what it will change or make more specific for my boat I have no clue, but hopefully it will help somewhere.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

My wife and I looked over all of the stuff the previous owner sent us that was with the owner's manual.  Thanks to my wife's suggestion for getting that information together, we found an ad for the 19/2 and also an ad for the 19/3. 

The 19/2 has a 3" pvc cowl vent on foredeck while the 19/3 does not.

On the 19/3 the main and jib halyard is led to the cockpit, while the 19/2 does not have that listed.

So it looks like we have 19/3 and not the XL as the XL has the white fiberglass instead of the teak interior.

The business of winches on the mast, I have not found mentioned anywhere, although the pictures of both ads show the winch on the mast.  They are, however, the exact same pictures for the 19/2 and the 19/3 ad.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

If the boat in question has a bow sprit and an interior fiberglass overhead liner that 'skirts' down past the ports to the deck level on the inside looking like this then you have a CP-19 XL. I painted the companionway hatch white on the inside as well. It comes grey from the factory.

Additionally the ports will stick out further under the eye brow as the fiberglass liner is thinner than the wood interior of older boats. A few CP-16 XL's had a drop down centerboard as well. Not my favorite idea.

See that red lamp? You only have 1/4" between the XL liner and the O/S of the cabin. Don't screw through it.

See that black dot under the radio mic cord? That is the thumb screw to hold the ST-40 head to the bulkhead on the outside. All wiring for both the Rayathon St-40 and Rayathon 435i chartplotter is hidden. The chart plotter can be raised no higher on this bulkhead without chopping a hole on the inside of the cabin. That was not acceptable. Also use the existing screws holding the hatchway guides to hold the radio and fire extinguisher...no new holes.

If the ports do not stick out further then the older MK I, MK2, or Mk3 dog house has teak trim and that is thicker than the XL insert and no bow sprit.

Sails are sails and the difference on the main is nill, but the fwd lapper can be all over the board. Mine is 155% meaning that 55% of the headsail travels astern, past the mast.

When I asked Rich Hutchins at the All Sail Boat Show at Navy Pier in Chicago about the XL liner he simply said, "Why not?" No other reason.

What little wood is below deck is Min Waxed with 6 coats. The outside wood is slowly getting the same treatment.

Com-Pac 19XL   1992-2002   hull #551-624. Mine is Hull number 588 cira 28-Feb-1996.

skip.

MacGyver

I do see on your pictures how that white will help brighten it up in the cabin, Wonder why they did that, cost of wood perhaps..... or maybe style of the times

Ours is wood interior, and with a little work from my wife, looks really good again.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

This should end the question of which model it is:

See where your hull # fits..

Com-Pac 19   1982-1985   hull #001-265
Com-Pac 19/2   1985-1988   hull #266-442
Com-Pac 19/3   1988-1992   hull #443-550
Com-Pac 19XL   1992-2002   hull #551-624

The liner reduces noise and condensation and cleans up the look inside.  It probably adds some strength too, but not 100% sure.   I do like how the teak looks on the older versions..as you said they can be spiffed up rather nicely.  I suspect the XL's weigh more, but again, not 100% sure.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603