News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

PFD, what is a good one to wear while sailing?

Started by MacGyver, May 15, 2012, 08:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

My wife and I are looking for a decent set of Life Jackets that are comfortable to wear while sailing. I am not too concerned about cost, as saving a life is worth whatever the cost.
We want something that is comfortable and not a hinderance while running around in the boat or doing stuff on deck.

Any Suggestions?

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

CaptRon28

A good inflatible is probably the best option. Use either a coastal or offshore model depending on where you sail. You may want to go with an autoinflate as well. They are less bulky than the others, and most offer more capacity as well.

My autoinflate offshore Mustang has about 35 pounds of buoyancy and a built in safety harness. Most do not have this kind of harness. The coastal models are probably in the 25 pound range.

The vests that they use on speed boats offer some protection if you get banged around a lot, but they do not have that much capacity as compared to the inflatibles.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

rdcvsmith

Try to get to a vender that has a good selection.

I got mine at the Defender warehouse sale, I probably tried on a half a dozen (or more) different inflatable ones, they all look similar, but they can "feel" different (how it is around the neck, waist, etc.) . . . You won't wear something all the time if you don't like how it feels and sits on you.

Ray

Salty19

Jason, I asked this same question last year, and I think Captn Ron also answered the question with the same reply.

Excellent advice!  THe mustang inflatable with built in safety harness is a really nice unit..comfy and you can tether.  You just can't use them for rafting up as they will require a refill kit.

This is the one I'm using..

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|135|439|320546|436864&id=546949
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

I appreciate that link, and actually when I looked up mustang PFD I looked right at that one, and it looks to be a really good one.
My wife is a klutz, and I can be, so maybe that is the one I will buy. We wont wear them while swimming, maybe we will get a different kind for that, or just use the throwables for that.

I will see what buying options I have from the different places, and pick 2 of them up for us. certainly a good idea, and the Core of Engineers guys are wearing Mustang as well, hopefully that is a good sign!
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

NateD

I have the same Mustang with harness and like it, but it can rub on the back of the neck a little if you wear a shirt without a collar. I usually only wear it while single handing, or in rough weather.

I tried on the Spinklock deck vest (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_827127_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=827127) at a boat show and thought it was more comfortable than the Mustang, but the price difference (and the fact that Spinlock isn't USCG approved (it seems to be due to cost of certification, not the actual quality/safety of the vest)) swayed me to Mustang.

Keep in mind that inflatable PFDs only count as a PFD when they are worn. If you ONLY have 2 inflatable PFDs laying in the cabin, and your stopped by law enforcement, you can be ticketed for not having proper PFDs. At least that's the way it is in MN. In addition to two inflatables, I keep 4 regular vests and a cushion in the port cockpit locker to stay in compliance with the law and for use while swimming.

CaptRon28

Best thing to do is to try on several at a local store, then go shopping on the internet for the best price. You can save 30 or more percent by shopping around, or use these web prices at local stores that will match them - like West Marine. Just about every auto-inflating unit will need a re-arm kit if it's deployed, even by accident. It's the Coast Guard that mandates that these be worn to count as a PFD, so maybe carry 2 extra cheap ones on board just in case. I imagine that a number of states follow this rule as well. I like my Mustang, but there are other good ones too.

By the way, teach your wife how to sail. She is the one who will have to turn the boat around if you go over the side. Many of my friends would be in this predicament if it happens to them.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

skip1930

Any automatic blow-up PFD with a 'D' ring. One may wish to tether yourself to the boat.

Note these are NEVER Coast Guard Approved unless you are wearing the thing.

I have two. Plus four approved PFD's stowed below the V-birth on my CP-19.

skip.

wes

I have this thing about not wanting to be seen in clothing with the West Marine logo on it. So I bought the Mustang products. These look highly professional and allow me to indulge my fantasy life, which involves being Bernard Moitessier on a solo circumnavigation (although for the record, I'm pretty sure Bernard was prone to sail naked in warm weather, so doubtful he wore a PFD).

For my wife and I, I got two of of the Mustang HIT pfds which are the expensive premium model (around $220 from Defender). For my teenagers and guests I got two of the less expensive MIT version (around $100). The kids prefer them because they are a little smaller and lighter. Both types are auto inflating. The HIT inflates only when submerged 4" or deeper, so it is very resistant to accidental inflation.

I am totally sold on the advantages of auto inflation. Having experienced my share of acciental gybes, if I get whacked in the head and fall overboard I want the thing to inflate without any further input from me.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

HideAway

I have to confess we seldom wear them.  Last year we got caught in a very bad weather situation that lasted about six hours - salt actually flaked off our foul weather gear once we got back.  We had never been that wet in 18 years on HideAway - I got some of it on tape - the Pine island video but it was too rough to film the worst of it.  It wasn t until we were home and inspecting the damage that we realized we had forgotton to put them on --

We keep five jackets in the starboard cockpit locker ready for use should we remember them.   The auto inflatables sound like the best to use- especially the one with the built in harness although I ve been told by somebody who knows- only the harness that wraps around your legs is really safe to use.  The standard west marine etc ones can cause great injury if you end up towed behind your boat by your tether.   
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

skip1930

Harness up?. Up to you. During a Caribbean race a sailor tethered to the boat went overboard only to be beaten to death because he could not get away from the hull and the crew could not pull him in and no one thought to cut the teather until it was too late.

Still it's a nice option to have a 'D' ring...and a knife I guess.

skip.

brackish

Mine is a Stearns auto inflate with harness and D ring.  I'm not sure of the model, needed one, saw it in Port St. Joe, Fl tried it on, it felt comfortable and the price was right, so i bought it.  I wear it always when single handling and with inexperienced passengers.  With experienced crew, I wear it in rough weather and at night.

When I have it on, in all but the hottest weather, I forget it is there.

Best would be to go somewhere that you can try them on, make sure they feel good.