a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

interior work

Started by crazycarl, May 06, 2012, 02:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

crawled all over the interior yesterday with the pneumatic grinder and coarse nylon wheels of different sizes and shapes.

removed all those tiny specks of loose paint.  vacuumed it out and went to ace for beige exterior paint to cover it up 'til i carpet the walls and front cabin top.

bilge will be painted with bilge paint.

thought i was going to need the fire department to remove me from the stern area when i got a muscle cramp and couldn't roll over.

man am i sore today, and itchy from the fiberglass.  should have wore long pants and a long sleeve shirt!

would be painting today, but thunder storms killed that idea, time to organize the garage, then off to a movie and dinner with joannie for our anniversary. 

imagine the patience of that woman to put up with me and all the boats i've had these past 34 years!     

carl 
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MacGyver

The best thing I have found when working with glass is to catch it at the source. At work we have these sweet Fein Sanders and vacuums, really nice, but expensive....... I usually use the vacuum part with other tools depending on the job, seems to help quite a bit.

A shop vac is good if you can use a bag inside of it.

One way to get the glass of of you is to take a cold shower, as cold as you can stand it, then go up to hot and then back to cold a few times. It helps release the glass from the skin.

Dont scrub right away, just try to let it flow off of you at first, then after a few times then wash like normal. the sudsier the better as far as soap goes. I have used dawn before since it gets so sudsy, then showered with my normal stuff.

Sounds like a good project though, maybe I will do that to mine one of these winters. :)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

crazycarl

the itch of the glass doesn't really bother me much.  i was a pattern maker for 20 years and made hundreds of fiberglass molds.  milling, cutting, and grinding fiberglass was the norm.  i always found sweating it out and then a cold shower worked best.

funny, i was a chemical agent instructor and on the tactical team at my present job for years and found that was best way to remove cn, cs, and pepper spray as well!

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"