a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Deck issues

Started by MacGyver, May 03, 2012, 09:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Anyone else have water in between the layers of the deck between the teak hand rails where that hatch cover slides forward?

I am just curious if there is core material there? I have drilled a small hole down a little ways and found what I believe is the joined area. Seam I guess between the ceiling and the deck.

I didnt find any "normal" core material, just seems to be all glass/epoxy......... but I did find water in the area.

Thanks for the input.

I do have it slated for a full deck job this winter, and will probably drill several holes all over the deck to soldify the connections with epoxy (West System) since I have to re do the deck in its current shape. (thin gelcoat, etc.)

Anything else I should look at considering doing to this boat as well?

Jason
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

The construction consists of a micro-balloon slurry sandwiched between fiberglass layers.  There is no wooden core except under the hardware mounting points (stanchions, mast step, etc).

I'll take  a guess and say the layers delaminated and trapped water from a leak in the fittings around this area. Of course once water is there and it freezes, it will separate the layers further. That's just a guess having never dealt with that problem.

As far as suggestions for improvement.  Two things that really help sailing performance:  Naca 0012 foiled rudder and a boom vang. New sails make a huge difference if you're are old and soft (they should be crispy and stiff).  As for comfort, cockpit cushions or sport-a-seats, drink holder.   Roller furriers are nice.
Clean all the blocks and cam cleats and lube them.  Clean and lube the track in the mast (mainsail will raise very easily this way).  Lube winches.

There are many little things that make a difference too...clean and waxes bottom (if not painted), adjust the motor mount loose enough for it to pivot easily. Adjust rigging correctly (mast should stand straight up on CP19's).  Read back in the forum for other ideas as they abound.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603