a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Porti Potti dimensions

Started by ChumleysRest, April 03, 2012, 03:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChumleysRest

Away from my boat and shopping for a necessity.  Can anyone out there help me with the dimensions (height and width) of the space where the porti potti slides up under the cabin entrance?

Thanks,
Steve

capt_nemo

Suggest you measure the distance between the shelf on which it sits and the fiberglass liner over it ON YOUR BOAT before buying anything. My liner was not parallel with the shelf and measured differently from one side of the Potty area to the other.

My final measurement had me mailordering a NEW older Potty Model from Defender which was the only one that would fit in approximately 12" of height. All the others at West Marine were too high to fit.

Eventually decided that the Potty area could be put to much better use as a storage area. I designed and fabricated a Step-2 Drawer Storage Module that is removable and installs without drilling any holes in the boat or making any structural modifications.

Here is the stand-alone module.

The area BEFORE.

And, the area AFTER.

The removable step with storage under.

ChumleysRest

Joseph

I wanted to install one that could be pumped from deck, and Gerry obliged... The only "marine" one that we were able to find which fits under the cockpit of the SC is the "Thetford 735 MSD 25105"... But wait, there is a catch... Thetford has more than one "Thetford 735 MSD 25105"... and with different dimensions! One is 12" 1/8 tall and the other is 12" tall, which makes all the difference. The 12" tall can be differentiated from its larger sibling because the level indicator is to the left of the unit (when using it). In the larger one it is to the right of the user... Go figure!

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

ChumleysRest

Thanks for the replies!  West Marine has recently added a 12" tall "retro" model that fits the Sun Cat.  Their "Runabout 962 Portable Head" appears to be a rebranded "Sanipotti" model that I have seen in interior pictures of Sun Cats.

West Marine's model number is 12914644 and their price is $89.99

bfelton

I would suggest you find one made by Thedford.  I've had several different porta potties over the years and I find Thedford to be far superior.

Bert Felton

Tom Ray

They spell it Thetford if you're having trouble finding it, though Google seemed to know.

I'm thinking of going the Wag Bag way. For extensive cruising, it would get expensive, but for occasional use they seem like a good solution.

They sell a little folding stool contraption, but I would probably just make one.

bfelton

Tom,
     Thank you for the spelling correction.  I'd love to plead a typo, but that was not the case.

Bert Felton

steve brown

The  735 Thetford Marine potti is 12 1/8 in. tall and should fit under the deck. I have a Dometic unit that is 12 1/2 in. tall and it contacts the over head of the potti compartment. I got the new W. Marine model on sale for $69.99 this week. It fits fine. The sale is on through 5/20. I still have the Thetford potti from my CP-19. That makes 3 toilets in my collection and only one boat. Enough is enough!! Steve

wes

Tom - just had my maiden voyage with the Wag Bag system (cleanwaste.com) and my 21 year old daughter gives it a big thumbs up. Amazon and REI both have it for $89. I am so happy not to have to empty and clean a chemical potty ever again. Bonus: the toilet seat is much larger than most chemical potties; not quite as big or tall as a real residential toilet but not bad. Double bonus: turned 90 degrees sideways, it fits nicely behind the hinged companionway panel in my 19 with no need to fold it up.

The bags are a little expensive, but I've heard they are available much cheaper at Wal-Mart.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina