a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

broken jetted bolt

Started by capras801, March 29, 2012, 08:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capras801

I have pretty much finished the restoration of my 1981 CP 16 and was looking forward to launching it soon when installing a new gasket on  the fuel bowl of the 1981 Sea King 3.5 hp Like I have done so many times in my life I tried to snug it down just a little more. Does anyone have an idea where to purchase parts for old Sea King motors? Need brass jetted bolt (5/16x24) that fits thru fuel bowl on carb. Any leads will be appreciated. Steve

skip1930

If what were talking about is just that the jet is stripped in the white metal then I'd look at this;
If your talking about a collapsed or split actual jet....can't help you.
Maybe any lawn mower small engine shop might have one close in size and jet hole. DO NOT bore a new hole in a jet already too small. These holes typically are not a 'straight hole' but rather have a curve to them.

J.B. Weld, black epoxy stick, knead a small bit together 'tween your fingers, pack some around the threads and screw back in.
You'll have about 10 to 15 minutes to make the job look pretty by cleaning up the excess or any globs left with a wet finger.

It's fuel proof, and strong enough to match the pot metal.

Fixed a lot of things with this stuff over the years, including my snowblower when I accidentally drilled a stripped hole for the fuel tank mounting bolt out thinking I would tap new threads...well dummy me, I ran the tap clean into the combustion chamber and could see the piston skirt slide past the hole...so J.B. weld into the hole, then the bolt, and then a few up and down strokes of the piston to wipe away the excess. Runs great! Never a problem after two snowy seasons.

skip.

capras801

This bolt holds fuel bowl in place and  the jetted end of it acts as port to carburetor mixing chamber.

capras801

For anyone having trouble locating parts for older outboards I have tracked down a gentleman in Grandview MO. His service is named Franz's Marine Service. Very helpful, resonable price, quick shipping.