a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

"correct" mainsheet attach point....

Started by mgg, July 28, 2005, 12:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgg

on my 87 cp-19, the mainsheet is designed to attach to a bracket about the middle of the boom with blocks going down to points just aft of the cabin.  Pretty much every picture I've looked at, including "the Handbook", shows it coming off the very end of the boom to the back of the cockpit.  its the way the previous owner had it rigged - in fact the mainsheet itself is too short to rig it off the back and be functional.  

This boat has a wheel instead of a tiller.  With the mainsheet coming down form the boom on both sides and the wheel in the middle, it could get awkward sitting in the middle of the back of the cockpit (there is a teak seat bridging the two sides - don't know it is on most CP's).  The compas is on the wheel mount - so not terribly useful unless you are sitting behind the wheel.

To add to the confusion - the attach point for the mainsheet at the end of the boom is missing - so I'm not sure he used the other point because it was easier or because the hardware fell off.....

To top it all off, he has a boom vang  with a slide track mounted over the companionway which puts the two points only about two feet apart which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Obviously, I'm not moving or removing the wheel, but something seems wrong.

comments anyone on this particular setup?

tnx
mgg

tsaiapex

I would love to see a picture of your CP19 with a wheel!  The prievious owner must liked to tinker.

The track on the companionway is probably where the mainsheet should be attached.  The vang was probably there once before the previous owner installed the mainsheet track.

I won't be surprised if  the boom has been shorten so captain could stand up to steer without get whack on the head.  The regular CP19's boom is about 20" longer than necessary to facilitate the stern mainsheet attachment.

Send us a picture, that is a rare modification on CP19.

Jeff Tsai
CP19, Mary Grace
Apex, NC

B.Hart

WOW, I love all the wood work. the only thing with looking at other peoples boat is is you see ideas of things you want. It's never ending :lol:

tsaiapex

The pictures show boom vang attaches to a track on top of the cabin via a bridgedeck and the mainsheet block attaches to the boom aft the track.  Now, that is weird.

The track was probably intended to be used as mainsheet track but it is too far forward.  So the track is now used to attach boom vang and the mainsheet is now used to to hold down the boom.

I do admire those boates who dare to experiement.

mgg

Well, I can't say for sure how the prevous owner rigged things.  When I picked the boat up, I was in a hurry to get out ot town as a huge line of thunderstorms was approaching.  

The track just never looked to me like it was heavy enough for  a mainsheet.  Also the mainsheet was rigged with three sets of blocks - you'd only use two off the track.  

Besides I don't think the previous owner did the mods - I think it was done by the owner before that.

The cleat (cams) for the mainsheet is on the block which attaches to the boom - ok perhaps if the boom was originally connected to the track, you could still make it work.  With the mainsheet as it is - the cams aren't going to work if the boom is out over the port side very far.   I'm ordering a double block so I can move the block with the cams to one of the side attach points where it will be accessible and allow me to release the mainsheet from the back of the cockpit.  

In other words, this odd arrangmet might just be because he lost or broke a block and used what hardware was around.....

I might look again at using the track but I have my doubts.

Either way, its sailable right now and I hope to be on the water again this weekend!