Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Horizon Cats in New England?

Started by Spar-time, February 21, 2012, 07:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spar-time

Hello,
I am hoping to move up from a daysailer and my traditional dory and am very interested in the Horizon Cat but would like to see/sit/sail one before I label the piggy bank with it. Is there a Horizon Cat owner in New England willing to do a show and tell?
Cheers

CaptRon28

Expecting a sale, some dealers would be willing to give you a test sail in a demo boat. There's got to be a few owners up in New England who would be willing to do the same. If these two don't pan out and you can drive to NJ, I'd be glad to do it - but in May when we get back from FL. That's not much later than the season starts up there so think about it. Mine, a 2008 with dark red hull, is a diesel. I usually sail it in Barnegat Bay or in a local reservoir with a trolling motor hung on the swim ladder. No gas or diesel allowed there.

You will probably like the boat. It has the lines of a traditional cat boat but with a little more performance.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Spar-time

Thanks! I have checked the area Com-Pac dealer and he doesn't keep the bigger boats in stock. I like that the centerboard trunk is not the in the cabin but want to get an idea of how much cabin space is actually available. Also need to know my wife can handle being in the cabin with the diesel thumping. Thanks again.

Rahn

I have a Horizon Cat in upstate New York (Binghamton) I'd be happy to show you, though mine has an outboard and it's under a tarp until spring.

Spar-time

Thanks for the invite Rahn. There isn't much water near Binghamton. Do you travel for all your sailing? I checked out your pix. Very nice. Love the tent! How does the HC compare to the Seaward Fox?

Rahn

I used to sail Cayuga Lake out of Ithaca, NY, but have taken my Horizon Cat to the North Channel (Lake Huron) in Canada for the last 2 years and my previous Sun Cat for 2 years before that. The Seaward Fox is more comparable to the Sun Cat. The cabin in a Fox isn't as spacious as the Sun Cat and much less so than the Horizon Cat. Both my son (who cruises with me) and I are 6 feet and the cabin is not livable for a longer cruise though it would work for overnight camping trips. There was a Fox owner who did cruise with his son in the North Channel and Annie (my personal hero) cruised with her Seaward Slipper (previous model to the Fox) but has moved to a Sun Cat.

The biggest difference is the mastendr system.

Spar-time

Yes the mastender is a big draw for me as by the time I got my daysailer rigged my wife was ready to go home. How often do you get to sail when you cannot sail locally? I live 1 1/2 hours from the ocean and the biggest lake nearby has winds more akin to tornadoes due to the mountains. Still can't remember why we moved away from the ocean.