News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Has anybody added a gas pedal to a C16? Re: has anyone taken the brakes off?

Started by Citroen/Dave, October 16, 2011, 09:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen/Dave

In the on going saga of buying my first C16, one that has been on the trailer for several years and has experienced a leaking cabin roof, water in the keel and a subsequent alteration from concrerte to a soil balast in the keel, I too have followed the problem of how to improve light air performance. Rounding the bottom of the stub keel to a hydrodynamic profile was my previous suggestion.

The first great improvement to the C16 was the foil rudder. I see evolution through the Legacy, some modifications of which include more sail area foward which also lessons the weather helm.

Last night I sketched modifications to the main sail, trying to get more area.  It seemed that a gaft would do a good job of increasing the gas pedal without raisng the center of effort very much.  Each time I did the sketch I raised the peak of the gaft which raised the center of effort and moved the center of effort foward.  Eureka!  Has anyone made a light air (nylon sail) sliding gunter for a C16?  This modification should be easier to accomplish than mounting a taller mast with new sails with its unintended additional strain on the rig should one not reef early.

'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Citroen/Dave

My inspiration was post #13 by Capt Nemo from "Has anyone taken the Brakes off?" which see.  There is a great photo.
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"