a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cp 19, model 1

Started by Capi, October 11, 2011, 11:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capi

Hi Fellow CPers.. yes, just took delivery of my Mod I today.... Oct 11, 2011. very excited !!
She does need  main and fore halards.  Does anybody know what size line to use?.. Also: braided or just three strand
Dacron? Approx lengths would also be helpful.. Many thanks !! Capi

skip1930

Halyards are 'Sta-Set' line that will not stretch, great for halyards. As far as dia is concerned, your old line will tell you. Or cut a piece off and take it along when you head out for the ship's chandlery.

The old halyards do not make for good dock line as theses don't stretch to absorb shock. Three strand braided nylon for that...and not too large in dia either. You want the line to move and stretch.

skip. I have no idea what the dia.'s are.

Billy

where are you located? where did you buy here from?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Capi

Hi Billy,
Stardust came from Crystal River, Florida... Now with New Orleans as her home port. Sailing on Lake Pontchartrain and the Northern Gulf Coast.  Good timing as this is our perfect sailing and cruising weather.  Bottom job should be finished in a few days then it's all play time ! Thanks for the inquiry.. Capi

Capi

Quote from: skip1930 on October 12, 2011, 07:16:40 AM
Halyards are 'Sta-Set' line that will not stretch, As far as dia is concerned, your old line will tell you. Or cut a piece off and take it along when you head out for the ship's chalndery.

The old halyards do not make for good dock line as theses don't stretch to absorb shock. Three strand braided nylon for that...and not too large in dia either. You want the line to move and stretch.

skip. I have no idea what the dia.'s are.

Hi Skip, many thanks for the assistance !! Lots of fine CPers out there.. Glad to be part of the owner association. Capi

Billy

I'm just an hour or so south of crystal river. You'll have a lot of fun sailing her. How did she find you?

Capi

Hi Billy, I received a call from a Tampa Broker.. He knew I was looking for a 19.. Don't remember how he knew.. he may have seen my interest interest via this forum.. Anyway, he put me in touch with the seller and within a few days it was done with an E-Mail hand shake.  Owner  loaded the boat on the trailer and brought it right to me. 550 miles.. two days..  Pretty fine..  Capi

rdcvsmith

Capi - great news on getting your CP19 !
She sounds like an early one, whtats your hull number / year?
I sail #109, the Coconut T.  . . . .love it!     
I know you'll love yours, looking forward to seeing some pics!

Ray

Salty19

Congrats on the boat!!!

You want 5/16" line for all halyards and sheets.   1/4" line for outhaul, downhaul, boom vang, furling line, and reefing lines (if equipped).  3/8" for dock lines..yes get dock specific lines as they stretch nicely to avoid stress on the boat as the boat moves around in waves at the dock (especially important if you'll be using a marina dock).

Any cruising or racing line will work OK, as skip mentioned Sta-Set line is pretty standard.    Do NOT use whatever line you think will work at Home Depot line, you'll be sorry after a year or so (UV damage, kinks, rough texture, etc). New England Ropes and Samson makes nice lines. 

Length of halyards needed:  Hutchins specifies 60 feet each, but you can get away with 50 if you tie off halyards at the mast.  If you have aft led halyards, go with 60'.   they will be a little long but that's OK. 55' would be ideal.

If you are not in a hurry, shop around a bit for them.  I got a nice jib halyard, spliced with a shackle, for $59 or thereabouts over the winter at defender.com during a sale.   Some just knot the shackle on the halyard, which I used to do, but these days every line is spliced (and I mean every single one!).  They will not come loose or interfere with raising sails all the way up. Single braid or double braid is fine.
I liike single braid for sheets and double braid for everything else mainly because they are softer and run through blocks easier.

One more thing...if you get two different color lines it will help avoid confusion which line to pull.  Not that big a deal if they are the same, espeically when sale prices are the motivation. 

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

wes

Capi - you may want to consider ordering a complete set of running rigging from Hutchins. If the halyards need replacement, the rest of the lines probably do too. Your boat willl thank you. The cost is not unreasonable - about $215. Their package includes everything - halyards, main and jib sheets, rudder halyard and downhaul, mainsail reefing line, boom downhaul, mainsail outhaul etc. It will save you a ton of hassle since Hutchins has all the dimensional information. You can email Matt in their parts department, matt@com-pacyachts.com. He is very helpful. One tip - make sure to let them know if you have a genoa instead of original jib. The genoa sheet is about 8' longer.

- Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Cruzin

Capi,
Congrats on the new boat I know you will enjoy it. I saw your interest on this site and gave the guy your number. I am in Crystal River and had looked at the boat, but bought a Compac 23 instead. I hope you have a great time!
Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Capi

Quote from: Ray on October 13, 2011, 07:41:04 AM
Capi - great news on getting your CP19 !
She sounds like an early one, whtats your hull number / year?
I sail #109, the Coconut T.  . . . .love it!     
I know you'll love yours, looking forward to seeing some pics!

Ray
Hi Ray.. Hull: ABV00202M84819.. so, hull # 202... She is a 1984.. guess that is imbedded also in the serial number !!
First coat of bottom paint today.. tomorrow another one.. then it is rigging time and sailing time !! Capi

Billy

I agree with Wes. You will benefit more from new sheets more than you will with halyards as those are in your hands more often. But might as well get both. And color code them if you can, much easier to tell your guest to "pull the red rope" instead of trim the jib sheet!

I have 3/8" halyards and sheets b/c it is easier on the hands than a smaller line and you don't have to pull as hard. You are also less likely to get rope burn. Although they are a little difficult to feed through the blocks they are much easier to handle once they are in place. No need for gloves and if you like to hold the jib sheet in big winds (instead of cleating it off) your hands won't get as tired. Plus it gives it more of a "yacht" feel and less like a dingy. That is just my personal peference. I'm sure others will disagree.

Capi

Quote from: Salty19 on October 13, 2011, 11:51:38 AM
Congrats on the boat!!!

You want 5/16" line for all halyards and sheets.   1/4" line for outhaul, downhaul, boom vang, furling line, and reefing lines (if equipped).  3/8" for dock lines..yes get dock specific lines as they stretch nicely to avoid stress on the boat as the boat moves around in waves at the dock (especially important if you'll be using a marina dock).

Any cruising or racing line will work OK, as skip mentioned Sta-Set line is pretty standard.    Do NOT use whatever line you think will work at Home Depot line, you'll be sorry after a year or so (UV damage, kinks, rough texture, etc). New England Ropes and Samson makes nice lines. 

Length of halyards needed:  Hutchins specifies 60 feet each, but you can get away with 50 if you tie off halyards at the mast.  If you have aft led halyards, go with 60'.   they will be a little long but that's OK. 55' would be ideal.

If you are not in a hurry, shop around a bit for them.  I got a nice jib halyard, spliced with a shackle, for $59 or thereabouts over the winter at defender.com during a sale.   Some just knot the shackle on the halyard, which I used to do, but these days every line is spliced (and I mean every single one!).  They will not come loose or interfere with raising sails all the way up. Single braid or double braid is fine.
I liike single braid for sheets and double braid for everything else mainly because they are softer and run through blocks easier.

One more thing...if you get two different color lines it will help avoid confusion which line to pull.  Not that big a deal if they are the same, espeically when sale prices are the motivation. 

This is surely all great and comes from, I suspect, cumulative several thousand years of Com Pac Owner experiences !! Many thanks !! Capi