- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cp 19, model 1

Started by Capi, October 11, 2011, 11:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capi

Quote from: Salty19 on October 13, 2011, 11:51:38 AM
Congrats on the boat!!!

You want 5/16" line for all halyards and sheets.   1/4" line for outhaul, downhaul, boom vang, furling line, and reefing lines (if equipped).  3/8" for dock lines..yes get dock specific lines as they stretch nicely to avoid stress on the boat as the boat moves around in waves at the dock (especially important if you'll be using a marina dock).

Any cruising or racing line will work OK, as skip mentioned Sta-Set line is pretty standard.    Do NOT use whatever line you think will work at Home Depot line, you'll be sorry after a year or so (UV damage, kinks, rough texture, etc). New England Ropes and Samson makes nice lines. 

Length of halyards needed:  Hutchins specifies 60 feet each, but you can get away with 50 if you tie off halyards at the mast.  If you have aft led halyards, go with 60'.   they will be a little long but that's OK. 55' would be ideal.

If you are not in a hurry, shop around a bit for them.  I got a nice jib halyard, spliced with a shackle, for $59 or thereabouts over the winter at defender.com during a sale.   Some just knot the shackle on the halyard, which I used to do, but these days every line is spliced (and I mean every single one!).  They will not come loose or interfere with raising sails all the way up. Single braid or double braid is fine.
I liike single braid for sheets and double braid for everything else mainly because they are softer and run through blocks easier.

One more thing...if you get two different color lines it will help avoid confusion which line to pull.  Not that big a deal if they are the same, espeically when sale prices are the motivation. 

Hi Salty 19.. I agree with all your recommendations.. I'm pretty good at splicing on three strand, but need to do some practice on braided ! Thanks !! Capi

Capi

Quote from: Cruzin on October 13, 2011, 01:24:24 PM
Capi,
Congrats on the new boat I know you will enjoy it. I saw your interest on this site and gave the guy your number. I am in Crystal River and had looked at the boat, but bought a Compac 23 instead. I hope you have a great time!
Dale
Hi Dale and I am in your debt for getting Stardust and me together !!  Your 23 must be really fine.  Know you are already enjoying it !! Again, Many thanks for "The Connection" .. Capi

Capi

Quote from: Wes on October 13, 2011, 01:06:04 PM
Capi - you may want to consider ordering a complete set of running rigging from Hutchins. If the halyards need replacement, the rest of the lines probably do too. Your boat willl thank you. The cost is not unreasonable - about $215. Their package includes everything - halyards, main and jib sheets, rudder halyard and downhaul, mainsail reefing line, boom downhaul, mainsail outhaul etc. It will save you a ton of hassle since Hutchins has all the dimensional information. You can email Matt in their parts department, matt@com-pacyachts.com. He is very helpful. One tip - make sure to let them know if you have a genoa instead of original jib. The genoa sheet is about 8' longer.

- Wes
Hi Wes, saving all this excellent contact information.. and you are right, $215 bucks sounds like a deal.. Have not had time yet to inspect all the fittings, but with any signs of hairline cracks or rust, I'll be calling Hutchins !! Thank you !  Capi..

Capi

Quote from: Billy on October 13, 2011, 04:55:12 PM
I agree with Wes. You will benefit more from new sheets more than you will with halyards as those are in your hands more often. But might as well get both. And color code them if you can, much easier to tell your guest to "pull the red rope" instead of trim the jib sheet!

I have 3/8" halyards and sheets b/c it is easier on the hands than a smaller line and you don't have to pull as hard. You are also less likely to get rope burn. Although they are a little difficult to feed through the blocks they are much easier to handle once they are in place. No need for gloves and if you like to hold the jib sheet in big winds (instead of cleating it off) your hands won't get as tired. Plus it gives it more of a "yacht" feel and less like a dingy. That is just my personal peference. I'm sure others will disagree.

Hi Billy, ah, more good skinny ! great !! any you are right about making it easy on guests.... all the more fun..... and speaking of fun, it looks like the person on the helm is having a lovely time with a very fine companion !! Thanks for sharing.... When I get Stardust up and running, I'll see if I can zip some pictures to the Forum !! Regards.. Capi

Cruzin

Capi,
No debt is owed, just keep us posted on your progress with Stardust. I know you will have a great time with her. It was a very nice boat. If you ever make it down to the Crystal River area again let me know and we can have a cold one and share some sailing stories. I wish you the best! Have fun and enjoy!
Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett