News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail reefing? Shaping? What are these parts?

Started by rdwalker, October 08, 2011, 06:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdwalker

Hi, all,  more questions. You all are of great assistance to this new CP-16 owner - thanks in advance!

The genoa is equipped with this leech line. It runs most of the length of the leech in a pocket. How does one correctly use it?

On the mainsail, there is this short line running near the clew end of the leech. Is this also a type of leech line? When/how would one use it?

With regard to mainsail, it does not have any provisions for reefing. However, the boom gooseneck is springloaded and I can see how one could pull back and rotate the boom to wrap the sail around. Is this the method to reef this sail?
Could someone describe the correct procedure? How much does one roll it in?

Finally, on the topic of the boom: it is equipped with a shock cord running the whole length. What is the purpose of this?

Thanks again, Robert.

('78 CP-16 in Northern NJ)

Shawn

The leech lines are to stop the fluttering on the leech of the sail. Basically if the leech is fluttering in higher winds add more tension on the leech lines. In practice I have never needed to adjust mine.

You are correct about the boom having roller reefing. If you have the mainsail up you basically need to either be hove to or heading into the wind to unload the main sail. Then you let the main halyard out and roll some of the main sail around the boom. How much depends upon the wind. As a starting point try around 1/3 of the height of the sail. In higher winds you might want more... say 1/2 of the height of the sail. Basically if you reef and it still feels overpowered reef deeper.

Not sure on the shock cord... maybe to hang laundry to dry? :)

Shawn

Joseph

The leech line is for shaping the leech when the sail gets old and stretched.

The shock cord could be to fasten the doused sail to the boom when rolled or folded above it (i.e., by bringing the shock cord above the sail to the other side of the boom). Are there any hooks for it along either side or the bottom of the boom? Kind of a ready-to-go set of sail ties...

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365