a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Considering Complete Re-fit

Started by jimmagyar, September 06, 2011, 03:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmagyar

I am seriously considering a complete refit project on my 1979 CP16.  The previous owner had removed all of the bunks and bulk heads and the top of the keel needs to be resealed from the inside.  I would like to lift the boat off the trailer (needs work too) and rest the boat on the keel for easier access while rebuilding the interior. In a few weeks I will have access to a bunch of 2" pipe out of which I would make a lifting frame of some kind.  Does anyone have experience creating a lifting frame and is there any problem with the boat resting on the keel, with some exterior supports of time kind, during the refitting process?"  Jim - an Old Salt, New CP16 owner in Ann Arbor. 

KPL

I'm not sure you need to worry about a lifting frame.  Several on this site have taken the boat off the trailer by various means.  I backed mine up to a treat (I meant tree - must have had dessert on the mind...), fastened a rope from one stern cleat to around the tree to the other stern cleat and drove away.  The boat came nicely off the trailer resting on the keel.  I gently leaned it on the port side to sand the starboard hull below the waterline, then pushed it onto the starboard side to clean the port hull.  When I was done, I backed the trailer up to the boat and winched it on.  It took a little elbow grease, but not much else....

Kevin

NateD

I wouldn't worry about a lifting frame either. I put a couple tow straps around the hull and lifted the boat off using a come-along and my garage rafters.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=2534.0

Cevin c Taylor

Jim:  I can't help you with this topic, but I noticed you're in Ann Arbor.  I work in Ann Arbor and live in Superior Township, and I'm also a new CP 16 owner.  Where do you plan on sailing your boat locally?

deisher6

It took me a couple of evenings but it is very informative to read the old posts in the C16 blog.  There are several methods and pictures for taking your boat off of the trailer.  I used two web towing straps, one in each side of the keel.  Joined them together with a 4 foot chain and had a neighbor with a forklift raise it up.  I pulled the trailer out from under.  As Kevin said it is very easy to roll the boat from side to side or prop it upright.

good luck
regards charlie