a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

sailing under the bimini

Started by dannyd, September 02, 2011, 08:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyd

I just bought a 2007 picnic cat and would like to put on the bimini top.
Can this boat be sailed with the top up or will the boom hit it?
I would also like to get the cushion set. My sail cover is green and I think that the cushions would look great in this same color.
Any owners here have this color setup?
Do your cushions get too hot due to the dark color?

Thank you.

Danny
Freehold, NJ

DW

Danny,

On our Picnic Cat, the boom clears the Bimini with a few inches to spare.  The Bimini does block some of the helm's view of the sail, but the shade is a welcome trade-off on hot days.

We've had only the tan cushions, but the dark green looks great.  I don't think they would heat up too much on hot days, but can't speak from experience.  Any color cushion beats sitting on hard, hot fiberglass, though.

Hope you enjoy the Picnic Cat.  We're really happy with ours.--DW 

CaptRon28

I have a hunch that the boom will clear the bimini only when sailing. When the boom is sitting in the gallows, I don't see how it's higher than the bimini. The bigger Horizon has this problem. I'm thinking about running a topping lift to hold up the boom when the sail is down so I can leave the bimini up. Just remember to free the topping lift once the sail is raised.

Danny - If and when it ever stops raining, would you like to go for a sail on my Horizon? Weekdays or weekends are both OK for me.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

santij44

Quote from: DW on September 08, 2011, 12:29:09 PM
Danny,

On our Picnic Cat, the boom clears the Bimini with a few inches to spare.  The Bimini does block some of the helm's view of the sail, but the shade is a welcome trade-off on hot days.

We've had only the tan cushions, but the dark green looks great.  I don't think they would heat up too much on hot days, but can't speak from experience.  Any color cushion beats sitting on hard, hot fiberglass, though.

Hope you enjoy the Picnic Cat.  We're really happy with ours.--DW 

Bob23

Hi Danny and welcome from another Jersey guy. Where do you sail? I sail my 23 down in Barnegat Bay...hope to meet you next season. I hope Sandy treated you ok.
Bob23

patch

hello again group.had a suncat which i sold.had a Bimini on it.no problem sailing at all.just peek around it,if you need to.perfect on those hot NH lake days.now living the retired life in Florida will be buying a picnic cat.can't say enough about compac sailboats&the company.ease of advise&parts is excellent.at 70 yrs old the picnic cat should be the perfect boat for me and my dog jake the jack Russel terrier. sold my suncat&flying Scot two great boats.ease of mast raising&ease of sailing is paramount when you are 70.i solo sail.the Bimini will be the 1st thing on my list of add In's the bimini on the suncat worked fine with the boom on the gallows,sure it could be  adjusted to work on the picnic cat.

jthatcher

hi patch..   where did you sail in NH?  i used to live in wolfeboro..  sailed winnepesaukee with a friend in his pearson..   and was introduced to compacs  through a colleague there who had a 27   jt

jthatcher

danny,   
   bob 23 and Marty and I are planning a mid winter  gathering of  mid-atlantic compac owners..   it will take the form of dinner - perhaps in the toms river area..  and it will be a prelude to bob's  barnegat bay bash  which will take place this summer..   look for a posting in the near future. you would be more than welcome to join us!   jt