a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Name sign...

Started by Joseph, September 02, 2011, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

After many drafts and heated discussions, finally, Sassy Gaffer got her name sign affixed to her hull... My request to the designers was for a simple, single-colour sign including the full name and some simple related graphics. Little did I know the turmoil I was about to create... First "Sassy" had to be sassy, and "Gaffer", well, gafferish... Yet, "Sassy" had to be more prominent than "Gaffer". But the real struggle was about the graphics: Professional designers seem to only consider a boat as "sassy" if she is a Marconi rigged sloop flying a colourful spinnaker... totally inappropriate (and even offensive!) for a self-respecting cat-rigged gaffer... This is when a friend, who happens to be also a superb designer, came to the rescue with his own line rendering of a sassy gaffer... Albeit reluctantly, the graphic company agreed to trace his drawing into their graphics software, and as soon as the Vinyl was cut I pulled it away from them... the result is what you see below. The proportions may not be exact but it is clearly a cat-rigged gaffer with pronounced sail twist, plump bow, elegant sheer and even a hint of gallows, in a starboard tack reach. And all this and even a passing wave in only 7 lines...

J

"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

mrtoad

Tom Ray

That's a great little line drawing!

I think we might have a use for that in the Sun Cat Nationals. Would your friend mind sharing? :)

Joseph

I doubt he would... but let me ask him... Sassy, on her side, does not mind it a bit, except... that although very proud of her American heritage, she is licensed and sails the inland waters of the Great White North... and she wonders whether, were she eligible to participate, the name of the gathering would not need to shift to "SunCat INTERnationals"... :)

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Joseph

Hi Tom,

I asked and my friend says "of course!". His name is Brian. In addition of of being a designer, a trailer-sailor, a historian and explorer, he restores and collects small vintage boats (his farm in Orangeville, Ontario, has more masts than trees) and he is also the moderator of several nautical groups, among which the Alberg22, the DS and the Nordica among others.

J.

"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Tom Ray

Hi Joseph,

We would be hugely honored to upgrade to Sun Cat Internationals. Or maybe Sun Cat Worlds. Either one sounds way more impressive than Sun Cat Nationals. I'm going to take a wild guess that "suncatworlds.com" is still available out there, so we could move the website.

Get down here, and it will be done!

Meanwhile, if you could send the best/highest resolution version of that graphic available to me: jt atorabout suncatnationals period com

Thanks!

Tim22

Bring on Sun Cat worlds!

My SunCat lives in Pointe Comfort, Quebec. Find that on the map if you dare!!

Tim

Joseph

Hi Tim, good to hear from you.

Pointe Comfort...? Lac Pemichangan, north of Kennyville? 

How has your season been?

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Tom Ray

Quote from: Tim22 on September 06, 2011, 08:45:18 PM
Bring on Sun Cat worlds!

My SunCat lives in Pointe Comfort, Quebec. Find that on the map if you dare!!

Tim

1,620 mi, 1 day 4 hours

Nothing for a real trailer sailor! See you here! :D

Tim22

Hi Joseph

The lettering looks great - perfect logo for SunCat Worlds!!

Summer has been good - great weather and lots of sailing. We're on 31 Mile Lake at the south end so just a short hop to Pemi.

I'm contemplating interprotecting and anti fouling now that the boat is in the water all summer. Do you know of any good shops in Ottawa that could do the job. I don't really want to do it myself if I can avoid it.

And Tom
1,620 miles doesn't sound so bad. When are you leaving - The lake doesn't freeze over for a few more months and even then, real sailors just snap on the blades!!

Tim

Joseph

Hi Tim,

Try talking to Warren Henry from Meridien Boat Works. He is usually at the NSC.

I hauled the boat all the way from Clearwater for 1,500 mi (or 2,400 Km) so, it is just the matter of undoing all that.  Great adventure!

J.

"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Tom Ray

I did not get around to making anything out of the Sassy Gaffer graphic for the Sun Cat Nationals, but recently needed a catsignal and it came in handy. Hope you don't mind! ;)

cavie

I'm hopeing we have a 3rd winner of the Nationals next year THEN we can hold the Worlds in conjunction with the Nationals. 1 National winner and 1 Worlds winner. Then the next year you will have 4 people eligible to race in the Worlds and so on.

Tom Ray

The catsignal is getting around! Mark M over on trailersailor used it to make this lid for his daughter's jewelry box. She's 17 and pronounced it "cool" so that settles that!