a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wood trim

Started by jowaterm3, September 01, 2011, 11:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jowaterm3

Does anyone know what type of wood is used on a  1978 CP16?  I cleaned it with powdered Teak cleaner and it came out reddish brown, but local Expert swears it's Mahogany,  Hatch rails, Tiller and companionway slides

Bob23

Tiller I don't know. But everything else on the exterior should be teak. What did you use to clean it?
Bob23

Billy

It's most lokely teak. And your tiller is either teak and mahogany (if it,s two kinds of wood lamanated together) or ash if it's one solid piece.

Mahogany is a very dark brown color.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

brackish

Most likely teak originally, but on a '78 boat it could have been replaced.  Reddish brown does not sound like teak.  When cleaned and brightened it should be very light beige that turns somewhat golden when oiled or clear varnished.  If your local expert is a woodworker he's probably right.  A picture (closeup) would help with the identification.

Billy

this is teak...... but I put ALOT of oil on it.

this is the same wood (newer w/out oil)
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

jowaterm3

Quote from: Bob23 on September 02, 2011, 04:58:13 AM
Tiller I don't know. But everything else on the exterior should be teak. What did you use to clean it?
Bob23
Boatlife powdered Teak Cleaner.  Took off all the grey and left beautiful reddish brown color

bimmerhead

On my '77 CP16 it's solid teak, but a few shades darker.. as for the tiller, part Mahogany, Teak and Ash, standard blend...there are thousands of them out there...