a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bow Light (sometimes called spreader light) bulb spec

Started by pbrenton, May 31, 2005, 10:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrenton

Saturday, with thanks to a friend and fellow boater (Cape Dory aficianado, alas), I replaced the wiring to the "bow light" or "spreader light" connector.  This is the light mounted on the front of the mast near the spreader with a pseudo fresnel whitle light pointed forward and an area light pointed downwards to light the area forward of the mast on deck.

Then I checked the bulbs :idea: .  One was not just blown, but broken.  

I want to have replacements for both on board, of course, There are about four bulbs that are candidates.  The markings on the fixture do not help.

The bulb in question is cylindrical with connectors at each end.  The fixture is an Aquasignal and I think original to my 1984 Compac 23/2, so should be identical to some you guys have.

Can anyone give me a catalog number or more specific spec?  I'm sure its a 10 watt 12 volt, and perhaps any of the four will do.  I'd rather find out the easy way though.

While I'm here, wouldn't it be nice if there were a central list of replacement parts for the "stock" CPXX/X ?  Short of that, how about  just the bulbs in the bow and stern fixtures?

Pete
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

pbrenton

Well, I'm answering my own post.  I found the festoon style bulb at;

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=20778

for the best price.  For some reason West MArine has four bulbs in their catalog, I suspect they are different legths, but it is hard to tell (they are marked "T11X41" diameter and length in mm? since I have no bulb to measure I am not able to confirm or deny).  The one I'm convinced is the right light is cat# 4810875 and they have "plenty" in stock at my local store so I am running down there to get a package of two ($4.09) tomorrow (actually the online cat has them at $6-something).

I did not find any LED replacement for this particular fixture, alas.  I think I have to replace the whole fixture when I'm ready for the LED thing.  

I have the bow light bulb in my pocket so I can replace that one (a halogen, probably more for one than for the other two together).  I'll provide the cat # for that one later.

Pete
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA