News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hoping to buy a 16, have a few questions - Update - bought it!

Started by Cevin c Taylor, August 20, 2011, 12:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cevin c Taylor

Hello:  I'm new to sailing, and to this forum.  I've settled on a Compac 16 as a good boat to start with, and I have an offer on one that has been accepted by the owner.  It's currently in the water at a marina, and I went to see it a few days ago, and the owner took me out for a sail.  Overall, it looks in very good shape.  It's a 1983 model.  I looked over all the outside, and went down in the cabin and looked around.  The owner had gotten there a while before me, and had been cleaning it up and replacing one of the lines.  Inside I saw no signs of leaking.  Even when he opened the rear storage area where the scupper drains pass through.  It was dry as far as I could tell.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see the fact that it has been in the water since May or so as a good thing for judging how watertight it is.  I mean if it were up on a trailer somewhere, I would have no way of knowing if there are currently any leaks in the hull.  In the water, no matter how much someone tried to dry it up in the hour or so before I got there, there would be no way he hide everything.  He seems like a real honest guy, and we had a good time sailing.  We agreed on a price and a pickup time.  I told him that of course I haven't seen anything below the waterline, so the only thing that would kill the deal would be if there were a serious problem there that came to light when we pull it out of the water.  My questions boil down to these:  
1.  Is my thinking correct here about it being in the water being a good thing for revealing problems?
2.  What should I be looking for when we pull it out of the water?  What would constitute a serious problem with things below the waterline?  I'm really hoping to get this boat, but I don't want to get into a mess.
Many thanks!

Bob23

Welcome to sailing and this site, Wolv:
  You definitey want to see below the water line. If the owner has taken care of the boat as he states, he should have a decent coat of bottom paint on it. In other words, you should see no barnicles stuck to the bottom. Compacs are not known to have a tendency to develope blisters in the fiberglass but inspect the bottom carefully.
  I don't believe there are any thru hull connections on your boat which is where a leak would most likely occur.  The hulls, if not damaged my an impact, are essentially leak proof. Check the keel closely- does it seem like it has hit things? Is the bottom paint intact or are areas of it missing where it may have struck something? If there is bottom paint, it might not be a bad idea for you or the owner to pay the marina to powerwash the slime off the bottom so you can actually see the bottom. Not so hard that you wash all the bottom paint off, just a light powerwashing.
   By the way, where is the boat located? What state?   
   How are the sails? You would like them to be kinda crispy, not soft like a bedsheet. If they are original, they may be ready for replacement. If not torn, they will move the boat but it will not be as efficient as with sails in good shape.
   I think you're on the right track, inspecting the boat carefully. When I bought my 23, I did everyting wrong: I didn't sail it, I didn't hear the motor run, I never saw the sails, I didn't get to see the bottm, and I bought it from a lawyer!But it gave the apperance of being cared for and lightly used. It has turned out to be awonderful boat!
   Keep us posted,
Bob23 in NJ

Billy

I agree with what Bob said.

The 16 would only leak if it hit something really hard. And yes after a few months in the water, the boat would have sunk.

But their could be blisters on the bottom. These could eventually lead to a leak. If your boat in in a warm water state this could be more likely. But if you are up north you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Bring a paint scraper with you when you pull out the boat. If the barnacles scrape off easy the are probably fresh.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Cevin c Taylor

Thanks for the input guys.  I should have mentioned that I'm in Michigan, and the boat is docked at a marina on a river leading to Lake St. Clair - one of the lakes between Huron and Erie.  He said he bought it from a boat place that had repossessed it from the owner for failure to pay storage fees.  I guess I can't say if the sails were crisp or not   - they seemed like it, but I don't really know the difference.  Bob23 - I didn't mention that I'm a lawyer - no lie.

Bob23

Nothing personal, Wolv:
   It's just that down here in NJ, lawyers don't have a great reputation. So to encounter an honest one was a rare event. If you are a Compac owning lawyer, you're ok in my book. I'm sure you've heard more than your share of lawyer jokes so I'll spare you. Welcome aboard. And keep us posted about the 16. Even though I do love my 23, there is a very neglected 16 I'm looking at.
   Aslo, check the standing rigging. But being in fresh water it might be ok. Probably is. My 23 spent a lot of time in fresh water but when I brought her down to the Barnegat Bay in NJ, I noticed the stainless steel rails and stanchions began bleeding a bit. Nothing serious, just surface rust.
   Any photos of your new boat would be cool.
Bob23

Cevin c Taylor

Bob23 - no offense taken - I just thought it was funny that you mentioned that, and I'm a lawyer.  I'll try to get some pics up.  So does Billy's comment mean that blisters are less likely in colder waters?  Thanks again.

Billy

Correct, blisters are much more common in warm water. Same goes for barnacles.

One thing, if there was any water intrusion into the keel and there was a deep freeze, you could have some cracking of the concrete in the keel.

Knock on the keel and hull, and listen to to the resonance (spelling) for hollow sounds or cracking I the hull. Doing this will also make it look like you know something about boats.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Cevin c Taylor

Well, I picked it up this afternoon.  The bottom looks good, as far as I can tell.  I spent about half an hour with a high pressure hose cleaning off the bottom.  I need to pick up an outboard, and then the plan is to sail her in one of the inland lakes in northern Michigan over Labor Day.  Can't wait to go out in her.  I'll try to get some pics.  I look forward to participating in this site.  Thanks for the advice on the purchase!

I was paying attention as we took down the mast and rigging, but I know I'll have forgotten a lot.  Does anyone have a diagram of the rigging on a 1983, or know where one is posted?

Bob23

W:
   I do the same thing all the time. A digital camera to the rescue! I take photos of everything I dissasemble...it's how I think.
   I think the 16's rig is pretty simple. I have a 23 so I won't be much help. Maybe a quick search in the 16 section will reveal something.
   Have a great inauguaral sail! Post some photos! Us guys here on the NJ coast are a bit envious...wondering if we're gonna have boats left on Monday morning.
   And congrats on your new 16. Any name yet?
Bob23 in Ocean County, NJ

Cevin c Taylor

Bob:  No name yet.  Working on it.  I hope to put the mast up and do a dry run on rigging it this weekend in the driveway.  I'm supposed to pick up an outboard in the next few days.  I also need to build something to support the mast during trailering.  Should keep my busy.

ehall686

Congrats on your new boat.   I'm also in Michigan if you sail in Northwest Michigan let me know. I would snap some pictures in full sail for you.

Cevin c Taylor

ehall686 - Our plan is to be up at Sleeping Bear Dunes over Labor Day, and I hope to sail on one of the inland lakes near the Platte River campground.  Is that anywhere near you?

ehall686

Pretty close as northern MI goes, I'm about 40 miles away from that campground. The boss has me working Both Saturday and Sunday Labor day weekend .... bummer

ChumleysRest

Here's a name suggestion for you: "Juris Prudence"  Be careful out there, and i wish you great joy in your sailing adventures - i've been sailing since 1973 and have found few pursuits more satisfying.  Just sold a Hunter 31 and at my age (near retirement) looking to downsize to a Com-Pac 16 or Legacy.  Very interested in hearing more of your experiences.  Enjoy!

Cevin c Taylor

Quote from: ChumleysRest on August 27, 2011, 10:09:52 PM
Here's a name suggestion for you: "Juris Prudence"  Be careful out there, and i wish you great joy in your sailing adventures - i've been sailing since 1973 and have found few pursuits more satisfying.  Just sold a Hunter 31 and at my age (near retirement) looking to downsize to a Com-Pac 16 or Legacy.  Very interested in hearing more of your experiences.  Enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestion!  Not sure if I could sell it to the rest of the family, but we'll see.  I have some specific questions about various items on the boat.  I'm not sure if I should start a new thread, or use this one.  What is the preferred procedure here?