a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Roller Furler recommendations

Started by jamato323, August 12, 2011, 03:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamato323

I'm going to have to replace the r/f on my Com-Pac 25. Hutchins said the OEM was a CDI FF4. I'm also looking at a Shaefer Snapfurl CF700.
Any one have thoughts on these or another system?
Much appreciated.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

peterg

Have had great success with Selden Furlex- the 200S or 300S would work on your boat.
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Wiggs

I have a snapfurl on my 19' and could not be happier.

Wiggs

Bob23

I've had no problems with the CDI on my 1985 23/2. It has minimal moving parts and works flawlessly.
This past winter I disassembled it to inspect the forestay and it came apart easily. I'm sure that all of them need some care especially when lowering the mast and storing for the winter.
Why do you need to replace your CDI?
Bob23

skip1930

On the CP-19 is a Harken '00'. Works fine. The top spinner thing stays out of the way of the pulleys at the masthead and out of the way of the spinnaker halyard..

skip.

jamato323

Thanks all.....Bob the old furler has a cracked drum (don't know the make ...its not a CDI) but it makes furling next to impossible and requires the use of a winch and consequent danger of bringing down the forestay.
The yard wanted 1,750 for a Selden unit installed at the slip. I called Hutchins on Friday and Gerry said that they put a CDI FF4 on the boat originally. I'm leaning toward that unit for a replacement as they are about 600 bucks and get good rating from Practical Sailor. Does anyone know if they can be installed mast up although I probably won't try to do it myself. Like most pretty ladies, Aloha Kai is an expensive date.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

Bob23

I wonder if you can get a new drum? I think the CDI's can be installed with the mast up but you'd have to loosen the forestay which means securing the mast forward with a halyard. I've never done this so maybe it's best to seek qualified advice and not mere speculation from an amateur genius like me.
"Koinonia" is an expensive date sometimes but she's well worth the price to be with the prettiest girl at the dance!
Bob23

crazycarl

a CDI furler CAN be installed with the mast up.  if you buy the installation cd, they show the installation with the mast up.

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

wes

Jamato - I can't offer any direct experience with the 25, but my 19 has a CDI FF2 that I really like a lot. It's got a lot of miles on it - not sure whether it was original to the boat (1988) or added in the mid-1990s. Very simple design, minimal moving parts. When I bought the boat I cleaned up the furler, gave it a squirt of Sail-Kote where the weight bears on the big flat washer at the bottom, replaced the control line and the halyard, and voila it works like new. CDI factory has been a great resource. Called them when I couldn't find a replacement halyard online and they offered quick, expert help and sold me the part I needed at a reasonable price. I would buy a CDI again in a heartbeat. Sailboatowners.com has the FF4 for $579; you might find better prices elsewhere on the web (defender.com does not carry CDI, unfortunately).

In terms of installation, since it involves disassembly of the forestay turnbuckle, I would be try to do it with the mast down if possible. That was no problem with my 19 since I can unstep the mast with a little help from my teenage son - maybe more difficult on your 25 though. There's an article in the July/August issue of Good Old Boat about some cruisers who had to remove the furler on their 33' boat when the forestay needed unexpected replacement. Yikes, pretty scary story. Another reason I am very happy to have a 19' boat.

- Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Tim22

I had a snapfurl and was mostly happy with it. It uses a small size luff tape and I found this caused problems when feeding the sail into the track. once it was set up each year it was great.

Tim22

Bob23

Wes:
   A bit off topic but that was a great article in G.O.B. magazine. I've been thinking of switching over to Sta-loc swagless fittings if I redo my standing rigging. That article and an older on by Larry Pardey prompted me to inspect my forestay via disassembling my CDI. It proved ok, but it's nice to know.
Bob23

skip1930

"old furler has a cracked drum (don't know the make ...its not a CDI) but it makes furling next to impossible and requires the use of a winch and consequent danger of bringing down the forestay."

J.B. Weld in a mix it up putty for the cracked drum. Has to go on CLEAN metal or plastic. May have to file a VEE groove into the top and bottom of the crack.
I bet Marine-Tex works just as good too.

skip.

wes

Bob - wow, I had the same reaction from reading that article. Made me paranoid about that forestay turnbuckle embedded deep inside the furler drum. I need to take mine apart and inspect it soon. My boat has been a fresh water boat for years and the rest of the rigging is in excellent good shape so I'm hoping not to find any problems.

- Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

jamato323

I ordered the CDI FF4 with ball bearings today. Sailboat owners dot com had best price with shipping and fastest delivery. I appreciate your help and suggestions as always.
Now back to teak work.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
William Arthur Ward

Allure2sail

Hi Jamato:
You can not go wrong with the CDI. It is tried and proven (one of the more simpler solutions). I would suspect that you will have to have a headstay made up, I took mine down one time on my last boat (a Catalina 25). I used the front halyard to suppot the mast once it was dieconnected at the bow. Your procedure will be differant because I suspect you do not have conventional head stay. You will have to use a bucket truck or have the mast taken down. Be carefull with the headstay length when you have it made up, it needs to be pretty darn close to make it all work and not have any headaches down the road.
Good luck
Bruce
S/V Allure