a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Genoa sheet routing for CP 19?

Started by wes, July 20, 2011, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes

Just received my new 155% genoa (furling) from National Sail (very good transaction and a nice sail; Dirk is awesome) and scratching my head about how to route the sheets. My 19 already had genoa tracks, probably standard on the 1988 CP 19/3 (?). Running the sheets outside the shrouds makes the sail difficult to unfurl; the clew tends to catch and hang up on the upper (outer) shroud. Running them between the two shrouds as the Hutchins owner's manual suggests seems to limit my options for trimming the sail; there's a lot of sail in between those shrouds; the sail will do a lot of rubbing on the lower shroud when tacking. Neither way really looks right to me. What do you guys do?

I am beginning to understand why the Sailboat Company thinks it's a good idea to get of the backstay on the 19 and move the shrouds further aft, but I'm not ready to tackle a project of that magnitude. Have already spent seven months renovating Bella from stem to stern and I'm REALLY ready to go sailing.

- Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Billy

I don't have a fuller on my 19 but I do have a 150 genoa and a 110 jib. I run the sheets on the outside most of the time unless I plan on going close hauled into the wind for some distance. Then I will run the lines between the stays.

I do know that if you turn down wind and pull on the sheet, as soon as the jib catches the wind it will unfurl the rest of the way on it's own.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Tim Gardner

Ok Wes,  

Here's how I look at it. How you route the sheets on a furling Genoa depends on the wind conditions you expect to encounter.  with winds in the 10 - 20 knot range, you wouldn't hank on a genoa, so route the sheets between the uppers and lowers.  With lighter winds, route the sheets outside the uppers.  If you add a line to the clew, route  that to a cleat or block located at the mast; and the conditions change, you can sheet to tighter angles with your genoa furled to 100% ( Jib size).

tg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

skip1930

Find the center of the head sail sheet. Pop the sheet through the clew as others have said.
The sheet goes OUTSIDE of every thing.

I replaced my sheet and made it about 10'-0" longer. The  leeward sheet can now be cleated to the windward [high] side of the boat for more of 'my' comfort.

The owner's manual says and shows between the stays but I tried that and it was a miserable failure.

skip.

Billy

agree w/ Skip.

outside the stays, UNLESS you are going close hauled for more than an hour. Then b/w the stays. It's not that hard to untie a stopper knot and re-route the sheets.

Now if you have a head sail less than 100% you could run it on the inside of the stays (as long as the leach clears the spreaders). This will allow you to point much higher.

When using my 110 jib I run the sheets through the pad eye. When I use the 150 Genny I run the sheets through the jib cars. Of course I hank on my head sails and make the call before I launch the boat. But I have changed once I get out and the conditions change.

If you furl a 155% Genny up to 100% you ruin the shape of the sail. The curve is at the luff of the sail and when you reduce a sail that much you roll the best part of the sail away. Then it just becomes flat w/ no curve. Going on a beam reach or lower shouldn't be a problem but anything above a reach and the boat won't point as well, and as we all know these boats need all the help they can get heading into the wind.

As far as the sail getting caught in the stays,
just point the boat downwind and it will unfurl away from the boat.

and you could try shroud covers. I have them and have noticed the sheets get caught up less.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-