a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast wires for lights : 4 wires and where do they go ? 2 pin or 4 pin connector

Started by hockeyfool, June 28, 2011, 12:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

I am about to connect mast electrical before setting mast up ; and have a newly repaired mast deck area where all throught holes have been redrilled
  anew after alot of epoxy. So now I  see 4 aires hanging from the mast , 2 are in a 2pin deck connector, 2 are not connected to anything . How do I correctly
reconnect all 4 wires , a new 4 pin deck connector ? My  boat is an 1981  - old perco  fixtures which I put LEDS inside .

skip1930

"Hold it closer to the phone so I can look at it." As customer's were told. Is the mast down? Or is squinting into the sun to see when the lamp is lit necessary?

Actually I'd bet two wires are ground, one for each bulb.
And two ought to go to the bulb it's self for power from the switch.

So take the wife's bobby pins or a small finishing nail and stick it into the female sockets going up the mast [disconnected from the power panel on the boat] and apply the power and grounds by clamping on the two leads from a hot battery charger plugged in to figure out where each wire goes and what it does. You can do the same thing with a battery too but it's easier with a battery charger if you have 120 volts available.

Make a digram and mark the wires.

skip.

brackish

Can't speak for yours, but my four wires include one common, one hot to steaming light, one hot to anchor light, and one hot to deck light. A four pin connector takes it through the deck.  Easy to find out what is what, continuity check will give you the common (continuous to all others), hook it to negative, then jump each of the others to a positive 12 volt source (my truck) to figure out which is which.  This will also give you a "bulb good" check, good thing to do before you put up the mast.  Label the wires just inside the base of the mast, diagram of the connector so you will always know which pin is which.