a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Launching of our CP-19, Odina-Aurore

Started by steve brown, May 11, 2005, 10:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

We launched our, new to us, CP-19 N0. 93, Odina-Aurore, on Lake Skaneateles, NY,  Saturday May 7, 2005. Our shake down cruise, assisted by Schuyler of The Sailboat Shop, was quite eventful. The wind speed was better than 10 knots. Our only loss was that the lower batten pocket tore out. Unfortunately we did not have our digital camera in operating condition but did take a few photos on film. I have two questions and appreciate anyones help. First, how does one get over-run teak finish (Star-brite) off the anti-skid surfaces. Second, are there any Com-Pac 19 sailors on Lake Champlain, New York. I have heard that there might be. Also I hope to have some simple galley plans drawn up for the 19 soon.  It feels good to own a sailboat. Regards, Steve :D

Craig Weis

Star-Brite on any surface is not impossible to get off. But it will take some work. For really small amounts I'd say pick it off by scraping with an exacto knife. What else do you have to do?
For a larger spill try an electric heat gun and just the least amount of heat to loosen the stuff up.
Last I'd do the attack of the chemical stripper. But don't do this...the gel coat may suffer.
Good luck. Show some pics of this boat. thanx. skip.

steve brown

Thanks for your advice Skip. I have managed to get most of the Star-brite off the topside areas including the non-skid surface. I used Acetone very judiciously with a rag and a 1/4" diameter manicure orange stick. They are made with some type of hardwood and come pointed on one end and beveled on the other. You probably could make one from a dowel of that size. A stiff tooth brush and small hooked/pointed awl type tool did the rest. I follow up with a fresh wash down at the end of each work area. I have noticed some stress cracks under the mast foot, at the front of the cabin where it meets the deck(both sides), and at the toe rail about the same location on the hull. Should I repair these and if so what product is recommended? I have the Casey book on hull repair for help.The non-slip areas on my boat are a molded in kind of a rope texture. These areas are white also and the finish is wearing thin in some locations. I thought it would be a nice change to paint them with a non-skid paint such as Interlux Interdeck in beige or gray to cut the glare and improve the finish. Is this recommended or not? Are there other non-skid finishes I should consider? I hope to get some pictures on line as soon as I can. Thanks for your fine support. Steve