a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Too much sail?

Started by rip, June 16, 2011, 09:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rip

Just to set the stage. Out today with an elderly gent(late 80's) who didn't move too quickly.  Anyway the gusts were hitting 21 and I felt it necessary to continually head up so we didn't bury the rail right up to the edge of the coaming with each burst. The average wind speed was only about 12 - 14 mph. I was flying an unreefed main and the small(regular?) jib up. Tell me what i was doing wrong! Do you folks usually sail with that much heel? Thanks, rip 

Shawn

If you think you were overpowered then you should put in a reef, reef early in the 23.

Right around a steady 14 knots is a good point to put in the first reef, with the stronger gusts the reefing would help even more.

Sail a 23 fairly flat, it lets the keel work.

Shawn

Bob23

I agree with Shawn. Although it seems wimpy to tie the first reef in at 15 knots, that feels right for the 23. I don't know when I'd tie my 2nd reef in...any thoughts, Shawn?
   But I don't think they like to sail flat...seems like mine likes at least 10 degrees of heel. The round underbody would make me think the designer built her to heel.
   With the new sails, I'll be experimenting with this more this season. I went from a 110% to a 130% so pulling in the genoa a bit will change from what I've done in the past with my blown out original sails.
Bob23

brackish

Agree on the reef in the main.  Sailing a little flatter will actually be faster even though you are carrying less sail and it is much more comfortable with less weather helm.  The 23 has a round hull form as Bob mentioned, and it results in low initial stability, so it will quickly roll over in the gusts.  Less mainsail area will help you to keep it flat without constantly feathering the main and fighting the helm.

rip

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Very interesting for me. My experience is mostly with boats that you seldom reef. But my senses were telling me that might be a mistake in the 23. You have confirmed my thoughts. Any feelings about the size of the jib? No roller furling on my boat. Where would I be w/o this site? rip

Shawn

Bob,

My main only had 1 reef point so I can't say for sure where to go to the second, maybe around 23-25 knots. With the single reef and a 110 jib up in winds like that (with stronger gusts) I was having to head up quite a bit and I would have liked a second reef in. Probably should have tried my smaller 55 square foot jib then too.

Shawn