a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Quick, easy sailing in Picnic Cat?--UPDATE

Started by DW, June 16, 2011, 11:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DW

Update: Just brought the new Picnic Cat home from the factory in Clearwater.  My wife and I have only had her on the water once, but she was a delight--easy to launch and rig, and just about perfect for our 600-acre home lake.  Trailering her was no problem, either.  We had always enjoyed our SunCat (now sold to a nice couple), but the Picnic Cat is an all-around better choice for the low-key messing about on the water we do.

A couple of quick thoughts and follow-ups:

1. A 40# thrust trolling motor is plenty on our small lake.  I like it a lot better than cranking a gas outboard.

2. We didn't have a Bimini on the SunCat; glad we added one to the Picnic Cat.

3. Peter Prinz (the broker) and Gerry and Rich Hutchins made the transaction and boat-building phase a pleasure.

Now all we need is a little more wind.  It's still "bob and burn" time in middle Georgia.--DW

-------

We have a used SunCat, but lately I've begun pondering a Picnic Cat as a second boat (or only boat if the bride makes me sell the SunCat first).  Its primary use would be quick daysailing on a 600-acre lake located less than 1 minute from our driveway.  We've had the SunCat on this lake, too, but some afternoons it doesn't seem worth the trouble of wrestling her off the trailer, especially with a contrary wind at the dock.  

Anyhow, would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the PC as a daysailer for a quick spin on a small lake.  I read one post of someone using a trolling motor on a PC.  Does that option work well?  Also, can a PC be rowed?  

One last comment and I'll hush:  An alternative boat under consideration would be the lighter, simpler (and cheaper) Catalina Expo 14.2  Any thoughts?  Thanks for all the help.

CaptRon28

I've been using a diesel powered Horizon Cat on a nearby reservoir. No gas or diesel allowed, so I'm using a Minn Kota 55 pound thrust trolling motor to get it away from and back to the launch ramp. Works pretty well there, but I wouldn't try it if there was any significant current. Boat can do around 1.5 to 2 knots forward, maybe 1 in reverse. I posted a few photo's of the mounting system in the Horizon section. It's attached to the swim ladder. The boat already had 2 good deep cycle batteries, you will have to mount at least 1 somewhere.

The nice thing about all of the ComPac cat boats is that they can be launched and retrieved very quickly. One sail and it stays flaked and covered on the boom for the whole season. Before you consider any other boat, make sure that they can be launched as easily. If you've got to remove and fold 2 sails, that will more than double the workload. 10 minutes could easily become 45. It took me around 90 minutes (with help) to rig and launch a Catalina 250 I had sold 4 years ago. Even my easy to rig Telstar 28 trimaran is too much work for a quick day sail.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Glenn Basore

I have been thinking of selling my Eclipse to step down to a Catilina 14.2. My Eclipse is getting to be too much for me to handle at age 63.

I learned to sail on a Catilina 14.2, very nice easy to rig and sail boat. okay for two adults. I am also thinking of the Catilina 16, much more room.

I really keep thinking of the 14.2 as it will easily fit into my garage and I think it only ways about 480 #.

I have a lake 4 miles away but it was too much work to launch the Eclipse there for a day sail so most time I sailed in the ocean.

Hunter make a H-170, my first boat, very nice and fast in light air.

Let us know what boat you choose.

Glenn

DW

Thanks!--DW

Quote from: CaptRon28 on June 17, 2011, 06:28:17 AM
I've been using a diesel powered Horizon Cat on a nearby reservoir. No gas or diesel allowed, so I'm using a Minn Kota 55 pound thrust trolling motor to get it away from and back to the launch ramp. Works pretty well there, but I wouldn't try it if there was any significant current. Boat can do around 1.5 to 2 knots forward, maybe 1 in reverse. I posted a few photo's of the mounting system in the Horizon section. It's attached to the swim ladder. The boat already had 2 good deep cycle batteries, you will have to mount at least 1 somewhere.

The nice thing about all of the ComPac cat boats is that they can be launched and retrieved very quickly. One sail and it stays flaked and covered on the boom for the whole season. Before you consider any other boat, make sure that they can be launched as easily. If you've got to remove and fold 2 sails, that will more than double the workload. 10 minutes could easily become 45. It took me around 90 minutes (with help) to rig and launch a Catalina 250 I had sold 4 years ago. Even my easy to rig Telstar 28 trimaran is too much work for a quick day sail.

DW

Thanks for the good insights.--DW
Quote from: Glenn on June 18, 2011, 10:20:06 AM
I have been thinking of selling my Eclipse to step down to a Catilina 14.2. My Eclipse is getting to be too much for me to handle at age 63.

I learned to sail on a Catilina 14.2, very nice easy to rig and sail boat. okay for two adults. I am also thinking of the Catilina 16, much more room.

I really keep thinking of the 14.2 as it will easily fit into my garage and I think it only ways about 480 #.

I have a lake 4 miles away but it was too much work to launch the Eclipse there for a day sail so most time I sailed in the ocean.

Hunter make a H-170, my first boat, very nice and fast in light air.

Let us know what boat you choose.

Glenn

skip1930

I would be inclined to believe that most of the Com-Pac group here started out in smaller open sail boats.
Here is my first sail boat. a Phil Rhodes designed Penguin made in Chicago by the Saltine brothers.
Loose footed main with a batten.
What a blast this boat was. Here it sails on Eagle River, Wisconsin. Loved the bright work.
Dad and I built a trailer for it. She came home on the top-o-our Mercury station wagon.

Baby steps. skip.