clam or cam cleats for jib sheets?

Started by rip, May 30, 2011, 11:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Billy:
  Always glad to be of service!
bob23

rip

Show Off!? I guess maybe a bit sensitive too! ;) Too funny. But hey those pictures must be coming from a very high priced camera ::) , and what do you pay the folks who clean and polish all that brightwork?! I would not raft up next to you :-[ . But I will be out there today with another sailor to show him what the 23 can do. Forecast mid teens, gusting over twenty.  Yippeeeee! 

Bob23

While the camera is not expensive, I do maintain a full time paid crew of 6 who live aboard my 23 to perform all maintenance and repairs. Sure, it costs me about $225k per year but isn't my boat worth it? Plus look at all the time I save not varnishing.
   A few years ago, "Good Old Boat" magazine had an article on a woman who single handed her pretty old sailboat. No winches at all but instead bumpkins and belaying pins. They seemed to work quite well for her. I think she may have been engineless also. While I probably have the issue buried somewhere around here, I'm not about to go digging through this disaster of an office to find it.
   I remember a photo of her raising a quite large and heavy gaff rigged mainsail without the use of winches, just the mechanical advantage of yanking on the halyard and then taking up the slack on the pin...and repeating until is it was up. Interesting. Me, I like my Andersen winches although I don't know why they're so expensive.
Bob23