a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1982 Hull 178, Perko 5" Portholes.... No Screens, Help

Started by stickbreaker, May 27, 2011, 12:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickbreaker

Ok, Who has screens? Did they come with the boat? Did you manufacture your own? ever hear of using coffee cans, Glue and screen fabric? Come on folks chime in.

SpeakEasy

Quote from: stickbreaker on May 27, 2011, 12:25:27 AM
Ok, Who has screens? Did they come with the boat? Did you manufacture your own? ever hear of using coffee cans, Glue and screen fabric? Come on folks chime in.

Don't know about making them; my 23, of the same approximate age, came to me with screens. I'm the third owner. One of the previous owners made a very nice screen to fit in the companionway opening and another to fit in the forward hatch opening. They used what must be tent-screen fabric because it is as flexible as a cotton cloth. The one for the hatch opening is just the screen fabric with a velcro edge. The other velcro is glued on all around the perimeter of the hatch. I wonder if something similar might be done for the portholes?

-Speak

Salty19

You could potentially make them yourself?

The CP19 has 4" ports.  Screens used to be $15 each but now are $50 each.  They must be gold dipped now or something! 

Plus rain will come in with these screens as there is not splash guard, necessitating buckets under the ports to avoid saturated cushions.    I bought 3"  90* angle PVC ends (outside edge diameter=4", lashed some screen around the end with SS wire and rigging tape, sanded off the edge to fit tightly and inserted them into the outside of the port.    $2.58 each and no rain comes in.   Perhaps the 4" PVC ends have a 5" outer diamter that will fit?  Just a thought...it's a very cheap way to vent and keep the bugs out.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

skip1930

I purchased the very expensive port hole screens from Com-Pac Yachts when I also purchased my stern pulpit, life lines and stauntions. I thinks it was close to $900 by the tine everthing was billed out. I was surprised that the stern pulpit was drop shipped out of California, while the other stuff was shipped out of Florida.