News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The adventures of Adagio - A tempo having slow movement; restful at ease.

Started by jthatcher, May 09, 2011, 09:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Sounds like you are really enjoying to new boat!

"it sounds as though, come august, the welcome shade might outweigh the limited sight lines!"

Particularly on an August day when you are becalmed. I have a bit of a love/hate with my bimini so far. It is on a 4' track so I can store it a few different places. When it is down no matter where I store it it is in the way, either trying to reach the outboard or when going forward.

When it is up the shade is great but to have it far enough forward to clear the mainsheet makes it difficult to go forward and the frame gets in the way of the winches. Seeing the windvane on top of the mast is difficult. Part of the reason I added a wind instrument this year is to work around the bimini sight issue. To go forward I usually disconnect the front of the bimini to give more room. Roller furling would help reduce the need to go forward but I don't think I want to go there just now. I perhaps should have given more thought to a 2 bow model instead of 3 bow.

Of course if I had the wind instrument, diesel inboard and roller furling then most of the above issues get reduced.

Just need to pick the right set of compromises.

Shawn

Bob23

JT:
   "Albert Hall" in Waretown is easy to find. I'll give you directions when you get ready to go. We don't go too often but it's always a trip to visit there.
   I love "Shut up and Eat"!!!!! Who could resist having breakfast at a place with that name? Another good one is further east on Rt. 37 called the "Fast Break". Other than those 2, I don't hang out in TR too often. To us "South of the Mason-Dixon Line" folks, that's the big city!
   Enjoy the Fourth!
Bob23

jthatcher

jthatcher

yup, that is her..   i guess that i have the whole winter to figure out how i will spend next year's sailing budget :)   but one item that needs some attention is the jib..  it is a bit ragged, and with all of that new green canvas, the brown sun cover on the jib looks even a little worse..   plenty of time to prioritize, and doing it in my mind costs me nothing! 

shawn :   thanks for adding your thoughts..   the track that came with this bimini is only 2 feet..  i guess that gives me less flexibility, but i am sure that we will make something work.   my guess is that it will be up most of the time..   and, it is quite simple to remove it entirely and leave it at the dock.. of course, that requires a screw driver.. no problem!  i have a new one :)

Bob:  this was my second visit to shut up..   they make a great omelettes and  they are pretty reasonable..   i can meet you down your way.. we love exploring..   if all goes well, we will be down in two weeks and make it a priority to visit albert hall on that trip.

with all of the rain we had this morning, i could not roll up the bimini and put the cover on.. sure hope it is still there when we return! :)   until then, i will have to content myself with reading about the experiences of others on this site..  oh yea,  there is this house that I am building...

I am looking forward to devoting time and energy to that project while i am landlocked! 

jthatcher

I got a call from my daughter yesterday..  and then it dawned on me that I mentioned being proud of my son's thirst for knowledge..  and I certainly don't want to slight my daughter!  she shared a new recipe for bread with me, and I am anxious to try it out..  I am also looking forward to the new sweater that she is making for me.. but i have to wait till she spins the wool first :)

so, i was looking at motors today..  the outboard on Adagio  is an older 2 cycle model..  and i am not in a position to replace it at this point in time, but sometime in the future, I am anticipating doing some cruising, and I know that i will have to do a fair amount of motoring..   maybe that would be the time to purchase a new motor?    my neighbor passed me this weekend.. he has a newer 4  cycle, and i could hardly hear it, but maybe that was because mine was making a lot of noise..    i am supposing that the honda 8 hp with a 25 inch shaft would be the appropriate model..    From what I have read,  a new mounting bracket would probably be part of the equation as well..     one more thing to juggle on the list of priorities!

Shawn

"  i am supposing that the honda 8 hp with a 25 inch shaft would be the appropriate model..    From what I have read,  a new mounting bracket would probably be part of the equation as well.."

Check out the Tohatsu Sailpro 6hp with the 25" shaft and high thrust prop. Very nice engine, I replaced a 8hp Johnson 2 stroke, 2 cylinder with the Sailpro. The Tohatsu weights about 59 pounds so your existing mount should be fine.

Shawn

jthatcher

thanks shawn - good information, especially the part about not having to change the motor bracket..   it sounds like you are endorsing the performance of the motor..   that is good to hear.   it appears as though it might be less expensive than the honda as well...

Billy

I got the sail pro on my 19 and it is more than enough power and length. However, I do notice it does not shift too smoothy (unlike a Honda or yamaha). I don't think it is as reliable either. Overall I like it, and I think you'll find an 8hp heavy and hard to tilt up when under sail. I know the new ones have the shifter on the front.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

jthatcher

I don't know if I will tackle this project this year, but the previous owner  rigged up a system where he has the anchor attached to the bow pulpit on the port side.   in the first picture above, you can kind of make it out.   the problem is that when the jib on on the port side, it chafes on the anchor..  I think that is one of the reasons that the jib is looking a bit beat up..   any suggestions for a different method of stowing the anchor?  Currently it has about 5 feet of chain attached to it and the rest of the chain and line is stored in a bucket in one of the cockpit lockers..   

I would love to hear different ideas about how folks deal with their anchors!   thanks,  jt

Bob23

My 1985 23/2 came with a bow pulpit with an anchor roller attached. That's where the anchor lives with chain and 100' of 1/2" line rode stowed below in the locker. In fact, I sub-divided the locker and also stow 200' of 5/8" line also via 2 separate hause pipes. It will make more sense when we get together.
Bob23

rdcvsmith

I also have the Sail Pro on the Coconut T., I really don't have anything to compare it to (other boats or motors) , what I can say:

1) I like the 25" shaft, I'm assuming that's at least one or two notches less on the bracket that I don't need to lower down.

2) I like the front mounted shifter (seems to shift fine as far as I know)

3) Always starts on the first or second pull

4) Forward at idle is nice and super slow for turning into my slip

5) Does come standard with alternator and cable (low priority for me at this time, I don't even have a battey!, plenty of discussions on site regarding not to rely soley on outboard for your battery charging, nevertheless it is included)

6) Price was great, and includes gas tank and fuel line (the Hondas also include fuel line & tank but the Yamahas don't)

Plenty of great comments around regarding the Hondas & Yamahas too!, but definitely a couple of bills more $

-Ray

jthatcher

hi Ray,  thanks for the info..   it may be awhile till I am ready to make a switch.  for now, the motor that came with the boat seems to be working fine.   I think that i would enjoy the quieter operation of a 4 stroke, however, so at some point,  we will make a move..   

where do you do your sailing?

jthatcher

we got back from our trip to New Jersey kind of late last night..  although i was anxious to post,  i figured that a good night's sleep might be the first priority so here is the scoop on our latest adventure on Adigio..

we left home in the late afternoon on Friday after loading my kayak on our trailer, and we had to stop at LL Bean in the Lehigh Valley to pick up a kayak that I bought for my wife a couple of weeks ago..  we decided to leave the bikes home this weekend and focus on kayaking instead..  it turned out to be a little late when we arrived at the marina, so it was not long before we were snuggled in the v berth, looking at the stars through the open hatch over our heads..  we are getting used to that routine!  

the next morning was an early one.   we were expecting friends to join us for the day, but we got a call asking for a rain check,  so we turned our attention to a schedule for the day.. first off..  I unloaded the kayaks and brought them over to the boat.  we headed off towards ocean gate, where we beached the boats and then walked the boardwalk,  and then returned to the marina..  initial reports on the new kayak - it was a successful maiden voyage, no unintended capsizing and a pretty good fit overall.    

after breakfast ( granola and tea under the new bimini in the cockpit) and a shower we headed into Toms River to see the boat show which was sponsored by the local maritime society.   It is always fun to chat with folks who have an interest in boats.. and we got to board a wooden power cruiser that was built in Toms River in the 1960's..   some funnel cake for a mid morning snack was pretty agreeable as well!

By the time we got back to the boat, the mid-day heat had reached an uncomfortable level..  we laid in the cockpit and took a nap before getting the boat ready to cast off..    I love those naps, but it sure takes a long time to wake up any more!    The wind was off our starboard beam as we headed towards the bay.. there was lots of traffic..  sailboats, power boats..  really fast powerboats that could be a little unnerving if one let them be..   and, in the midst of all of this, there were sailboat races..    We were treated to a beautiful sight as a string of cat boats racing or parading up river..  it looked like a race, and my understanding is that whenever two sailboats are on the water, it is a race :), so we will call it a race..    i later spoke to a fellow who told me that the sails on these boats are just over 600 square feet..  just one of them is a sight to see..  but to see 10 or so of them passing by is a real experience..   we took a picture, but i am not sure where the camera ended up!  i will post it if it turned out...

we encountered another race and were waved off.. these guys were serious, and, although I am quite sure that I had the right of way, i did not want to rain on their parade, so we quickly jibed and headed in a different direction..   I am wondering, however, about setting a racing course on a weekend on such a busy section of the river??   of course, these guys have been there much longer than i have, so  we will just deal with it..  and maybe shoot for avoiding weekends when ever possible next season!

the wind was considerably stronger at the mouth of the river so we turned around and sailed up the river..  my wife liked that part of the trip much better..  it was quieter  but then the wind became variable, and we decided to take the sails down and motor back to the marina..   the previous owner had just landed, and he came over to lend a hand with our landing..   it was good to chat and to have an opportunity to ask him some questions..  he decided to take my kayak out for a spin and came back pretty happy with its performance..  we talked about some of the issues i ran into while building it, and what i might do differently on the next one..

with the boat secured, we headed down to Waretown, about 11 miles south of the marina for our first visit to Albert Hall,  a bluegrass venue that is open every Saturday night.. what an experience!   very friendly, folks who just enjoy music..  reasonable at $5 a head, and lots of entertainment...   we stayed through the first four acts and then decided that it was time to head back to the boat, but only after stopping for a late snack of fried rice on the way!   and then, off to bed snuggled in the v berth once again..  very comfortable!

we slept in on Sunday - I think that it was 7:30 before we arose..   a few handfuls of gorp and then we were off on the kayaks.. this time paddling across the river to Island Heights where we again beached the boats and walked the boardwalk.. stopped to watch one guy catching crabs..    and then back to the boat and a shower.   after a relaxing cup of tea in the cockpit, we drove into town and went to "Shut up and eat" for breakfast..  this was the first time that my wife got to go there..   we ended up siting next to an elderly couple who were sailors..  he raced enslgn class sloops throughout his life, and he happened to attend a national race on lake winnipesaukee  in the early 1990's..   the race was centered in Wolfeboro and the sailors all stayed at Brewster Academy where I happened to be teaching and living at the time..   I clearly remember all of the boats arriving on campus and the sailors staying in the dorms on campus..  this guy was one of them..   and, as soon as i mentioned the name "Water Colors"  , an ensign class boat from town,  he knew the owner's name..   it is a small world!  

after a wonderful breakfast we returned to the boat and decided to forgo sailing and stop at Ocean Grove on the way home instead.   I spent a little time gabbing with some folks on the dock, and then we packed up the car.  We left the kayaks at the marina for the next trip, because parking in ocean grove is very difficult, and i could not imagine that we would fine a spot to park with the trailer..    we took our lunch  and made sandwiches which we ate on the boardwalk, under the band pavilion and enjoyed the breeze..  then we went to check on the Sunday afternoon concert  - found that we had some time to kill - so we visited some of our favorite shops in town before stopping by Day's for ice cream..   6 years ago we had a wonderful date in ocean grove which i think i described in an earlier posting..  and one of the things that this trip had in common with that date was that I was wishing that the day did not have to end!    

we left Day's and headed to the youth temple where the recital was performed..  what a treat.. the mezzo soprano from the Great Auditorium quartet performed, and she did a wonderful job..   quite a different experience from the previous night as far as repertoire and a completely different set of musical skills, but it was nice to be able to appreciate both of the concerts in one weekend!  

on the way home, we stopped at the house and watered the gardens..  a lot of our attention will be focused there for the next two weeks while we are again land locked..  and then one more nice trip to the boat before the end of the season..   it sounds like we are cutting things short, but August is booked with trips and preparation for school to start, and once the school year begins, there will be little time to spend traveling to NJ.. :(    

all in all..  another great weekend on the Adagio -  a lot of folks have told me that the happiest days for a boat owner are the day of purchase and the day of selling the boat off..   but we sure are planning on having a lot of fun in between, and so far, so good!

jthatcher

well,  we just wrapped up the last  "real" trip to the boat for the season.   With almost the full month of August ahead of us, it seems a bit early to pull the plug, but I will be on the road most of the next three weeks, and getting back just in time for school to start, and the fall is just too hectic to try to fit two trips to New Jersey, so I asked the marina manager to pull the boat and get to take advantage of a 5% discount for an early move to storage..  that should cover the tax!

the plan called for a Monday departure with a stop at the house to put one more finish coat on the new hardwood floors that I laid at the house, but things went badly from the start.  I reached for the keys to the truck, only to find that they were not where they belonged, nor were they anywhere in the house.  A call to my wife confirmed my worst fear - she had them in her purse, and she was at work in Scranton.  that meant an hour and 15 min trip before getting started -  somehow I did not have the energy to make all of that happen, and, instead, put the trip off till Tuesday.   I salvaged the day by riding my motorcycle to the house, getting an extra coat of finish on the floors, and completing a few other odd jobs that i did not finish the previous day.   And, the ride on the bike inspired me to consider taking the bike to New Jersey the next day! 

Tuesday arrives, it is a great day,  I repack the few items that I really need into a smaller bag which fit nicely on the rear seat of the bike, and off I went, hoping that that little problem with the clutch would remain a little problem for the next three days!   It occurred to me that I was kind of living in the past, heading out on my 1982 Honda 450 to spend a few days on my 1983 Compac sailboat - life is good!    I took a different route than the typical one.  This one led me through my old hometown of Quakertown and down through Bucks County, the same route that we used to take to the shore when I was a kid.  It was hard to fight off a little nostalgia along the way, particularly on a motorcycle where one really only has his own thoughts to keep him company... 

The marina was quiet when i go there.  I dropped off my stuff and headed out toward West Marine to pick up a new cooler.. a small one which I could tie on the back of the bike.   Kmart had a better deal so i ended up getting one there, along with some new jeans that were on sale and which fit nicely into the cooler for the ride home..  ONe more trip then, to the local grocery for milk and water  and some tortilla chips..  and then to the marina office for ice..  and i was set for the next few days..   I cast off and headed out into relatively light winds.   There are a number of different yacht clubs on the river, and each one has its own fleet of sailing dinghies used for youth sailing...  they looked like swarms of mosquitoes out there.. darting  to and fro..   I am not sure that I would have the patience to run a youth sailing program!   I tacked out to the mouth of the river and a little beyond, and then it hit me..  i was dead tired..   working non-stop on the house project 8 - 12 hours a day,  staying up late the night before.. the ride down and now the sun and the water..   it was time to turn back..   when i got to the dock, I performed the necessary tasks to secure Adagio, and then i reclined in the cockpit and fell asleep, rocking gently with the motion of the boat..    I took the bike out for a short ride in the evening, saw a lot of bicyclists along the way , got gas, and then treated myself to dinner.  It was an early night to bed in anticipation of a beautiful day to follow.

Wednesday dawned and I decided to start the day with a walk..  walked out to Ocean Gate and then along their mile long boardwalk.  On the way back I stopped to watch the kids rigging their boats at the yacht club.. lots of energy and activity.. I am not sure that I would have the patience to run a youth sailing program, but i may have already made that point :)
A breakfast of gronola and tea was just the ticket after a 4 mile walk..  and then i started preparing Adagio for a day at sea..  that sounds great, but we have not actually made it to the sea.. just Barnegat Bay, but that is ok for now..    I topped off the gas tank, not knowing just how far I might make it or if the wind would remain true throughout the day.    And then, I headed out - motored to the end of the river, directly into the wind, which meant , once around the corner, it would be a beam reach the whole way down the bay,  and that is just about what i found..  nothing very crazy at all, in terms of wind, but the boat kept moving with occasional puffs putting some extra life into things.   This is exactly the experience that my wife would enjoy!   I made it down to Tice's Shoals -  my longest trip of the season, and then decided to turn back.  another beam reach up the bay - i decided to hook up the auto tiller that came with the boat, but when i pulled out the parts, a crucial piece was missing, and I could not seem to locate it anywhere on the boat.. so I quietly put it all away and gazed below to where the milk and granola were stored..  and then it dawned on me that in the old days, folks would just lash their tiller, so i got a piece of rope  and tied the tiller to keep the boat on course and went below, periodically, poking my head through the hatch to see if were were clear, and of course, we were =  there were hardly any boats on the bay!  what an experience..  especially compared with the last time that we were out which was on a weekend..  it was like night and day.   the winds were blowing 5 - 10, and everything was very relaxed. just the way that my wife would have loved it!

I brought the boat in and secured everything and then laid down for a couple of minutes.  My wife called and said that she was headed down from work.  the plan was for her to join me on Wed. night so that we could enjoy our anniversary together the following day..  all looked good, except for the dark clouds that were rolling in..   and, sure enough, it began raining, off and on...  It took Janet 5 hours to make the trip from Scranton..  lots of traffic and perhaps a couple of missed turns led to a challenging trip, but she made it and we decided to go out for mexian food for dinner..   we had a great meal and then headed back to the boat..  a trip to the restroom with an umbrella and then it was time to call it a night...  snuggling into the v berth, we had a disappointing surprise - the inspection port that I believe was at one point a ventilation port, was leaking..  and we had to deal with that throughout the night...   that is one thing on the list for projects next spring! 

the wind picked up ,and we had our first experience of sleeping on the boat throughout the night during a storm..  no real big deal, but we do need to work on ventilation during the rain.. i just might try the pvc pipe idea that i read about elsewhere on the forum.   we made it through the night and were greeted with a steady breeze and choppy waters on Thursday morning.   A little too rough for the kayak trip that we were hoping to make into Toms River, so instead, we drove into town and had our anniversary breakfast at Shut up and EAt, enjoying it a great deal, and then we headed out back to the marina to prepare Adagio for the day's sail.    We were married 5 years, and at this time, five years ago, we were preparing to depart on a cruise on the Masdam, a Holland American ship out of Boston..   and here we were, once again preparing to go to sea - how wonderfully appropriate! 

we motored down the river into a heavy chop which sent spray flying back into the cockpit.   I invited Janet to move forward to sit on the bow, which she did for a while..   it is nice to see her getting more comfortable around the boat in general.   We moved out of the channel, and hoisted the sails, tacking the last little bit out into the bay before heading south..   did i just say that janet was getting more comfortable on the boat??  the first couple of tacks set her confidence back a bit.. she has asked to steer ( which i thought was great, by the way)  but she got a little un - nerved as the boat heeled over after completing a tack..   attempting to lighten the mood i said " I guess you are't thinking about sex right now"  whoa.. did i really say that?   most guys understand that about 50% of the thoughts that enter out heads should not be given a voice, and maybe this was one of them!  Although she assured me that the topic was the furthest thing on her mind, it did bring a smile to her face, and we were able to turn south soon after, on a heading that called for a broad reach and much calmer sailing..   She continued to steer the boat, and we made it as far south as Berkley Island Park before turning around and heading back.  I had already warned her the the trip back would be into the weather and , therefore, a little rougher, but she handled it well - i did not see the look of terror in her eyes that was there earlier in the morning..  we just need lots of time on the boat, but that will have to come next year.   She brought the boat into the marina under power, and I took over for the docking, because the wind was still a major factor, and she has yet to determine how to shift the boat from forward to reverse..  we will save that for next year as well..

I visited the Marina manager, and told him that it was, indeed, time to pull the boat and that we would return once in September to do some work and to pick up things that we did not want stored for the winter..   we loaded up the car and hooked up to the trailer with the kayaks which we had left the previous trip and then headed back to PA --   the sunny sky soon turned gray, with the threat of rain most of the way, but  stops in New Hope for dinner  and then in Allentown for a cup of tea were the highlights of the trip, and, thankfully, I did not have to deal with rain , at night on the motorcycle!    And that brings our sailing season to a close, however,  we will make one more trip down in September, and I am holding out hope that Bob23, who keeps his boat in the water much longer,  will be available and will welcome some extra  crew - that way we get to work on our boat, and still enjoy another day on the water before the season is really over...