News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

ida sail rudder ;why not compac foil replacement brand ?

Started by hockeyfool, April 20, 2011, 04:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

I see everyone here mentions the Ida sail rudder and not the Hutchins' compac foil replacement rudder ? Why ?
Can I get a group discount at Ida ? Did anyone get a price break as we all seem to be wanting to buy a foiled rudder ?
Can someone talk to me about this ? 734-276-4349

DOUG142

Hi,
Some of us here have made our own foil rudder.  Like me.  Search under NACA 0012 or NACA 0014 Foil rudder.  Just finished painting my 5th one.
Well worth the effort and your yacht will drive like it has power steering.

Doug
CP-19, Sweet Dreams
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

brackish

Quote from: hockeyfool on April 20, 2011, 04:16:23 PM
I see everyone here mentions the Ida sail rudder and not the Hutchins' compac foil replacement rudder ? Why ?
Can I get a group discount at Ida ? Did anyone get a price break as we all seem to be wanting to buy a foiled rudder ?
Can someone talk to me about this ? 734-276-4349

I think the the IDA rudder preceded Com-Pac using a foiled rudder on most of their models, consequently Ida became popular with those that were looking for a replacement.  This was with Com-Pac and other boat models I would suspect.

Now that Com-pac has an option, and if you don't plan to make your own, it would make sense to compare pricing and specifications like any other purchase decision.

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

hockeyfool

Quote from: DOUG142 on April 20, 2011, 04:46:19 PM

Hello ,
Well if you have made 5 , can you make one for my 23 - and if so how much?
please call if you do have time ; else I may just buy one from Ida( they changed company to Rudder craft )

hockeyfool

Quote from: Billy on April 20, 2011, 07:28:33 PM

I called Com-pac /Hutchins  today and made a large order, and asked about the foil replacement
they sell for $387 smackers PLUS he said $103 for the control handle PLUS cost/time of shipping my rudder core (blade) to Clearwater
FLA, then the cost of shipping to another facility; then add it up to send back to my doorstep. Huh ?
The Hutchins employee said it absolutely was not an Ida sail brand; which is a plastic, and that Com-pac's replacement foil
was fiberglass.
Plenty to think about .

DOUG142

Hockyfool,
You want a NACA 0012 or a NACA 0014 foil?  I do not have any blank cp-23 blades and you would have to send me yours. 

BOB23 made a beautiful foil blade for his 23.  How about it?  Want to make another one?

Will contact you directly, Hocky.

Doug142
Compac 19, Sweet Dreams

You can check out my rudder at my photobucket pages.
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

Billy

whats the difference b/w the 12 and the 14,

so Com-Pac uses the old blade huh? and they don't do it in house? seems that the ida is the way to go, sorry Gerry & Rich.

LConrad

I used the Com-Pac official rudder for a replacement. Rather than mess with all that shipping, I just bought a new one and reused the old parts. Com-Pac was a little reluctant - expressing concerns about fitting the new one, but it worked pretty easy for me. Also I made some nice stuff with the old aluminum plate that once was a poor performing rudder.

Billy

Quote from: LConrad on April 21, 2011, 08:44:42 PM
Com-Pac was a little reluctant - expressing concerns about fitting the new one, but it worked pretty easy for me.

Do you live in Tampa Bay? Did you just get the blade? and what did you make out of the old one? inquiring minds want to know!

LConrad

I live in Indiana.

I did just get the foil rudder blade. I first used the old blade for a drilling pattern. I also had Com-Pac send me bushings and installed them as well.

One large piece of the old rudder became a base for a trailer extension dolly for a gently sloped boat ramp. I used a 10' section of 2" rigid steel pipe. One end has two large dolly wheels on some of the old rudder plate and a 2" ball. The other end has a 2" straight tongue coupler. So in really difficult situations, unhitch the trailer, connect the tongue of the extension to the truck, drop the tongue of the trailer on the extension ball. Backing is quite the challenge because it does the opposite of normal trailer backing. I hardly use it anymore since I figured out how to hyper extend the Performace trailer instead.

Billy

I have a performance trailer too but no extension. don't really need it but it would be nice to be able to keep my truck out of the salt water. still don't know if I would use it though.

got any pics of your extension?

LConrad

No pictures right now, but my trailer is made by Performance like Skip's. The standard trailer will extend about two feet. There is a pin close to the winch stand. If you pull the pin, the tongue can extend until it stops on the horizontal pin farther back. There is a second pin hole for the extended postion. Your brake lines should have a hose section to allow the extension.

I extended the extension feature about four feet by removing the back pin, pulling the extension farther, and drilling another pin hole. also, I added a section of flexible brake hose and a retaining steel cable just the right length to align the pin when extended. It made a big difference in ability to get the trailer deep enough in the water without launching the truck. Support the tongue with the jack, maybe block the wheels, and drive forward slowly. The tongue will ease out until it hits my cable stop. Go back and re-pin the tongue. Pull the weel chocks and launch. You have a better chance of keeping the truck dry and even keeping the back wheels on dry pavement.