a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

sink drain

Started by jcatkeson, April 07, 2011, 09:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcatkeson

Am I missing something or is the sink designed to drain into the bilge? I have had the boat for about a year and only now have given the sink any thought. As small as it is I doubt I will ever use it.

BobK

Most of the sinks drain into the sump.  Some owners have installed thru-hulls above the water line.
BobK

jcatkeson

Thanks. I thought it odd when the former owner told me it was the bilge. When you say "sump" does that mean there is a low spot where the water collects?

brackish

Quote from: jcatkeson on April 07, 2011, 02:51:26 PM
Thanks. I thought it odd when the former owner told me it was the bilge. When you say "sump" does that mean there is a low spot where the water collects?

Yes, the aft portion of your keel, behind the sealed ballast, is a sump.  Can be accessed by crawling under the companion way step on my boat.

Tim Gardner

The proper maritime term for a bilge pump sump is "Rose-box".  On many ships the odoriferous name is appropriate.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

jcatkeson

Regret to report that crawling under the step is no longer an option for my rather stiffened bones.

brackish

Quote from: jcatkeson on April 08, 2011, 09:42:17 AM
Regret to report that crawling under the step is no longer an option for my rather stiffened bones.

:):):) I hear that, probably not far behind you.  Get a small and agile kid.  It is a good area to become familiar with.  Your manual bilge suction hose is down there as well as any auxiliary electric bilge pump if you have one. 

With regard to the sink drain, my 23 came to me with an above the waterline thru hull already installed. I added a shutoff valve.  this thread has a picture and other info on sinks and plumbing.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3459.0

rmotley

How far above the waterline does the thru hull exit the cabin?

brackish

Quote from: rmotley on April 08, 2011, 08:09:08 PM
How far above the waterline does the thru hull exit the cabin?

not that far from the waterline.  If you look at the level of your sink drain, you have to realize that the thru hull has to be below that point in order for it to drain and that limits how high it can be.  that's why i installed the valve, and it is normally closed unless I'm anchored or docked or running flat under motor.  When heeled on that side, the fitting is underwater and subject to the pressures of sailing in that manner.  never had any water intrusion, but can see how that might occur.

Bob23

Mine also exits right smack dab in the middle of the boot stripe. I left the through-huill fitting in and plugged it up when I removed the sink. In it's place, I built a chart table. The sink was too small to be of any use.
bob23

millsy

I routed my sink drain aft to the transom, where the thru hull fitting stays above the waterline at any heel angle (the drain hose runs aft just below the cockpit sole).  My sink is fixed, though, so I don't know how this would work  with the sliding sink and loop in the drain hose.  Would it be possible to still use the loop and run the hose aft instead of to the hull side?

Chris
C-23 Dolce
Chris
C23
"Dolce"

cp23enough

I took out my stainless sink (with two holes in it) one to the bilge and one to the quarter birth. I recut the hole to fit a rectangular plastic wash basin with no drain. I take it out and dump it over the side. I can also fill it from the faucet then take it to the cockpit to do my washing. Me or the dishes. keeps the water outside where its supposed to be.
                                              Larry CP-23