a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Finishing Interior - Headliner

Started by frjeff, April 27, 2005, 10:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frjeff

Working on brightening up the interior of my new (82) CP 16.
The "headliner" (underside of deck - rough fiberglass) appears to have been painted. It has flaked and peeled off in many places.
I'm in the process of doing a thorough wire brushing and cleaning and would then like to paint or cover with something.
Will paint hold to this underside (a former Com Pac dealer told me they all do this)? If so, what type of paint?
What have others used?

All help appreciated. Thanks.

Louis Cisnero

Fr Jeff--

I had the same problem on my '77 compac 16.  I took the old scaling paint/interior finish off using a brush with broom-type bristles.  In some areas, I had to use a steel brush.  This left the cabin top sort of translucent in some areas.  I experimented with KILLZ which is commonly used to cover stains on a variety of finishes, interior and exterior.  It worked very well, in fact, so well that I painted the entire cabin with it.  That was about a year ago.  So far, so good.  My cabin was in about the same condition as yours.  (I believe I saw your boat at the Sailboat Shop in Austin last year.)  Good luck with your project.   KILLZ will work just fine.  I used the water-based type.

REgards,
Louis

frjeff

Louis,
Thanks for the reply. Great minds must think alike!

I didn't get any responses before I got the energy to begin, so I wire brushed all of the interior as did you and then painted with Killz primer. Today I painted all of the primed area (headliner only) with a high gloss white latex enamel. It looks super. Will do the balance of cabin in the next few days.

Now, I figure if your primer lasted a year, mine should also. And, if the primer held, so should the finish coat. Boat is garaged so should not go through the extreme changes in temps as it would stored outside (condensation, I presume?)

Yes, you likely saw the boat there - that's where I bought it. Thus far, very happy with the way it is cleaning up and shines. Re named her: "Celtic Knots" and will post some pics of the new color scheme one of these days.

Where do you mostly sail?

Louis Cisnero

Fr Jeff--
The last three outings I have sailed at Choke Canyon Lake located between Three Rivers and Tilden.  The lake is about 45 miles south of Jourdanton (30 miles south of San Antonio).  Great lake to sail on; in the flatlands, very little to block the wind.  I also like to sail Corpus Christi Bay out of the Naval Air Station.  I have many sails at Canyon Lake, north of San Antonio.  On May 20 - 22 I will be sailing Matagorda Bay out of Port LaVaca with the Texas Puddleduck sailors.  Being a trailer sailor, I have been able to sail Medina Lake, Canyon Lake, Lake Somerville, Lake Palastine, Stillhouse Hollow Lake, Choke Canyon Lake, Lake Corpus Christi (in Mathis) Lake Amistad and of course the gulf coast.  I am going to try to get out to Canyon Lake tomorrow and return Saturday.

I have had the compac 16 for about one year and have really enjoyed her sailing characteristics.  I like her stability and ease of control.  Last two outings I have registered around 7 mph (wish my gps would register in knots without having to convert).  I sailed a Potter 15 prior to the compac.  Great little boat, also very stable.  Launch and retrieval without getting feet wet, great in winter, and at the coast, sail right onto the beach.  But there are always trade offs; smaller cabin, less headroom, and poundings in rough water.  oh well, can't have it both ways.

Good to hear you are moving right along with your cabin.  Did I understand correctly that you are painting the hull as well?

REgards,
Louis