Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tabernacle holes

Started by fred, March 21, 2011, 08:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Young and highly intelligent lads...

I have two holes for something? in the ss tabernacle other than the bolt-thru for the mast itself. Are these holes (located near the edge of the sides of the thang) for bolts that would somewhat prevent both fore and aft working of the mast... attractiveness and/or ventilation.

Have an excitin' day...and avoid partaking in excessive pogey bait...

Your friend and August Captain,

Fred

Salty19

On my old 16, there were small blocks there for aft led halyatrds. On the ss tabernacle itself, about 1/4" wide.  You mentioned ventilation so hope we're talking about the same thing? No thru the hull holes right?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

fred

Yeah Salty...I was just joking about the other possibilities. Looks to me like the holes take bolts that keep the base of the mast from working back and forth because they are in fornt and in back of the base of the mast about 3 inches off the deck.

Fred

Salty19

Nope their function is general purpose and not for what you described. Remember compacs buys these parts so the part manufacturers will add whatever general features they want it to. 

Excessive pogey bait...I don't know what a pogey is let alone know how to bait 'em!

David

Quote from: Salty19 on March 21, 2011, 09:06:50 PM
Excessive pogey bait...I don't know what a pogey is let alone know how to bait 'em!

Salty, be very thankful as one has to acquire a smell for these fish. 
Try to imagine the smell of a paper mill, mixed in with piled bagasse from the sugar cane refinery, and the stench of decomposing animals.
That my friends is what a pogey plant smells like from 20 miles away.
If you do not believe me, just ask anyone not from Louisiana who has come upon one.

Salty19

I am indeed thankful by the sounds of it!  Makes a swine farm seem like daisies!

fred

Hutennsshun on Deck, troopers..."Pogey Bait" is a US Naval term used to describe junk food... candy, chips... etc... purchased from the geedunk. Also...I too recall there maybe a fish that carries the same name... as brought to our attention by yet another astute and learned member...

Seatime

Billy

if those holes in the tabernacle are for blocks for the halyards, wouldn't you have to remove the halyards everytime you take the mast down? I have blocks attached to my mast (hated drilling the holes though) and I leave the halyards on while trailering. However, the halyards do cross the forward corners of the hatch.

This isn't really a problem but it isn't ideal
I did buy two cheek blocks I plan to use as deck organizers just haven't worked up the guts to drill holes into the deck. And I just realized...I will have to pull the halyards through the organizer everytime I step the mast. ugh!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

Yes, had to remove them from the blocks and let the blocks hang there.   You can also loosen them enough for freeplay, but on the 16 when I did trailer it it was harder to get themast inplace with the extra friction. Your future method is the Same as most newer boats are. Just unthread themfrom the standup blocks and cheek blocks before lowering or after lifting mast.   Gotta say a slip is pretty darn awesome!

Billy

"Gotta say a slip is pretty darn awesome!"
I'm always looking for one, but living in Tampa Bay, there is just way to many different places to sail.
I live on Lake Tarpon, mostly sail St. Joesph Sound up to Anclote Key, Like to go down to Clearwater and have even made it to St. Petersburg & Fort Desoto. If I had a slip I would feel confined to that one place. Also, every time I leave the boat in the water at my friends dock after a week or two my boat just looks filthy (see my earlier post "epiphany"). But I do enjoy not steping the mast of folding and putting up the sails!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-